What's new

Do different sizes taste different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I'm a very occasional cigar smoker, like 6 a year. I had an Alec Bradley Post Embargo Robusto tonight that I really enjoyed.
I want to order some more, but I really like the Lancero size in general though I've not had a Post Embargo Lancero. Is there any reason to think it'd be a significantly different experience than the Robusto?
Thanks!

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
...I really like the Lancero size in general though I've not had a Post Embargo Lancero. Is there any reason to think it'd be a significantly different experience than the Robusto?
Thanks!
No I think you'll like the lancero.
Blenders work very hard to keep their cigars consistent across the various vitolas. I prefer petite coronas to larger cigars and having smoked both I know I'm not missing out on any flavor.

Plus Lanceros done right are a beautiful thing.

Last edited:

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
This is the old guard afficianado standard response. Yes if you smoke a dozen robustos and then have a lancero you will note some minor flavor differences, I do not claim otherwise. But the OP smokes 6 cigars a year and wants to know if a lancero of a brand he already enjoys is going to be disappointing compared to a robusto; and he really enjoys lanceros. I'm sticking with my response - smoke the lancero.

And I will add this:
I have done lots of blind cigar reviews and I have never heard anyone say: "Oh man I would have totally nailed that cigar if you had sent me the right vitola."

Is a Bolivar Petite Corona unrecognizable as a Bolivar? No. Is an Oliva V Lancero substantially different from a Robusto? No. What about the Fuente Hemingway line?

As was said above - sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Last edited:
This is the old guard afficianado standard response. Yes if you smoke a dozen robustos and then have a lancero you will note some minor flavor differences, I do not claim otherwise. But the OP smokes 6 cigars a year and wants to know if a lancero of a brand he already enjoys is going to be disappointing compared to a robusto; and he really enjoys lanceros. I'm sticking with my response - smoke the lancero.

And I will add this:
I have done lots of blind cigar reviews and I have never heard anyone say: "Oh man I would have totally nailed that cigar if you had sent me the right vitola."

Is a Bolivar Petite Corona unrecognizable as a Bolivar? No. Is an Oliva V Lancero substantially different from a Robusto? No. What about the Fuente Hemingway line?

Agreed. The proportion of wrapper leaf does make a difference, and the lancers has fewer filler leaves so you do get some difference in the blend, but the major flavor components will be there and if you like one you’ll like the other.

HDXR

Ride more, pose less.
Sales
Patron

And I will add this:

Noted and a cigar is not always just a cigar - the devil is in the details. I was reflecting on when I was smoking at least one cigar a day and smoking multiple vitolas of a blend. Kinda like "this tobacco really sings in this pipe". Nothing exceptionally different, just more nuanced.

I could only ever speculate as to the reason, but after many years of smoking cuban cigars (and I only add this for context) I have concluded that smaller sized cigars taste better to me than larger ones. I only ever purchase Cuban cigars with a ring gauge of 38-42. This is not to say that a 50 RG Cuban won't taste wonderful but the chances of enjoying a great Cuban cigar are greater in the smaller sized ones. I pretty much hunt for Perla, Minuto and Petit Coronas these days.

Lanceros are a truly wonderful sized cigar and one of the best in the Cuban ranges. Years ago I would have told you to stick to Lanceros and Coronas. Sadly they have mostly been discontinued in the effort to make big fat stogies the market seems to crave. Such a shame.

3 Olives

Patron
This is the old guard afficianado standard response. Yes if you smoke a dozen robustos and then have a lancero you will note some minor flavor differences, I do not claim otherwise. But the OP smokes 6 cigars a year and wants to know if a lancero of a brand he already enjoys is going to be disappointing compared to a robusto; and he really enjoys lanceros. I'm sticking with my response - smoke the lancero.What about the Fuente Hemingway line?
This!
I think the Fuente Don Carlos and Hemingway cigars are great examples of of overall consistent taste and flavor throughout all vitolas. I really like the Hemi Maduros because they are consistent and unique at the same time-all very good

HeySparky

Patron
I wouldn't touch this one with a 10 foot pole. :popc::oops:
I popped in this thread just looking to see if it went off the rails. So far so good. Everyone is really behaving themselves :)

Yes but does a 10 ft, pole taste different from a 5 ft pole?
Maybe the "ladies" who hang out at the local truck stop could answer this one for us. Different trucks do haul different size pole after all:puffy:

I’m gonna buck the system here and say yes, they taste different. The caveat being only if you have the palate to notice. The wrapper to filler ratio is different for each size, so there are differences.

That said, I know plenty of folks that can’t tell the difference, and some that can. We’re all made differently. It’s not a good or bad thing, just different. Having a sensitive palate is both a blessing and a curse.....

Status
Not open for further replies.