Do unsmoked pipes help with PAD?

WrightwoodJohn

I don't have alot of pipes, 15 or so. All get smoked, except lately I have two unsmoked pipes. I know you'll want to know what said unsmoked pipes are, so, one is a vintage Wally Frank bulldog, and one is a BST billiard. I know I know, how could I dare have an unsmoked BST, I'm really not sure other than it's kind of cool having it unsmoked (they're only unsmoked once), that and maybe I'm not sure what to break it in with and, not really crazy about breaking in new pipes.
It will get smoked. But seemingly, it has helped tame PAD feelings, if you have unsmoked pipes, why buy another pipe?
So back to the title of this thread, "Do unsmoked pipes help with PAD"?

Pedro

Good question! ... I don't have many pipes and I don't really like the process of "breaking" a new pipe either ...

I generally smoke falcons and the first few puffs from a new bowls are horrible, which discourages me a bit from buying so many new bowls. On the other hand, I don't like used pipes so much ... I perceive ghost normally ... for the same reason I'm not buying so many pipes either. That helps me to not have PAD ... I'm more inclined to buy tobaccos 😄

Last edited:

BlueMaxx

Sales
Patron
I don't have alot of pipes, 15 or so. All get smoked, except lately I have two unsmoked pipes. I know you'll want to know what said unsmoked pipes are, so, one is a vintage Wally Frank bulldog, and one is a BST billiard. I know I know, how could I dare have an unsmoked BST, I'm really not sure other than it's kind of cool having it unsmoked (they're only unsmoked once), that and maybe I'm not sure what to break it in with and, not really crazy about breaking in new pipes.
It will get smoked. But seemingly, it has helped tame PAD feelings, if you have unsmoked pipes, why buy another pipe?

I can only speak for myself...but I will say you are not alone...and there are many reasons why.
I think there are some in the back of my mind I was not really sure I would love to smoke, and so I placed them in a drawer for a later time.
Then I realized that being a spotty smoker just do to life and climate (read: not smoking in the house) that having a whole slew of pipes was making breaking in and building cake a slow process...so I concentrated on the ones I like best.
Then I found my sweet spot in terms of shapes, comfort, weight, bowl size, finish... so I have a bunch of unsmoked pipes...and am only purchasing what I know works for me now.
I have also imposed a rule upon myself...at this point if one comes in, one goes out.

jshogan2

I know you'll want to know what said unsmoked pipes are, so, one is a vintage Wally Frank bulldog, and one is a BST billiard. I know I know, how could I dare have an unsmoked BST...
Oh. Oh no. He really doesn't like it when they go unsmoked. Like...he really, REALLY doesn't like it!

On a (more) serious note, my answer to your question: for me, maybe. Having one or two pipes unsmoked certainly does give me pause before thinking about acquiring another, and I also tend to wait for a big milestone or event before breaking in certain pipes. I feel it makes it more special that way. To each his own... but I do what you describe, and it helps control my PAD a bit.

Except when Todd posts a virgin finish....any shape. Then all is lost (or gained?).

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
No.

Not a bit.

Soon you'll have a beautiful collection of unsmoked pipes.

Anyone care to chime in? You know who you are......

Chasing Embers

I buy pipes to smoke and I buy pipes just to look at. Now that I'm only buying a very specific type of meerschaum and briars from only one active carver and estates from a late friend when they pop up, it has dramatically reduced my buying. I did pick up an HS Studio pipe but that one is going to be a Christmas tree ornament.

Yosemite

Klingon Ambassador to Terra
Patron
nope.... I've purchased many a pipe after this one.... I keep debating.... I want to smoke it.... but it spent 110 years unsmoked.... so it NEEDS to be smoked.... but I'd be breaking it's 110 year run.... so.... in conclusion.... nope, unsmoked pipes do nothing to help PAD

IMG_9595.jpgIMG_9597.jpg