Do you dump ash during your smoke?

Do you dump ash during your smoke?

• Total voters

MasterJoda

I was listening to Fred Hanna on the Pipes Magazine Radio Show and he mentioned cleaning out the ash during the smoke. And said, “as most people do.” Personally, I have rarely, if ever, dumped ash from my bowl (on purpose).

This got me thinking, perhaps that is something I should start doing and it might have a dramatic impact, especially regarding how much dottle I typically have.

Please chime in with your thoughts.

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Patron
Neophyte thoughts here..
I have found it depends on a few factors.

1. The moisture level of the tobacco.
2. The cut.
3. The packing method used.
4. Pipe shape.
5. A wet smoker?
$. lastly the pipe.

I have found that my better pipes smoke completely down to ash...notice I said better, not necessarily more expensive.

Now that I have probably shown my ignorance, I will let someone with a lot more experience expound and correct my assumptions based on observation.

SmokeRings

Patron
I went with rarely, which is to say under very specific circumstances, namely stacks/macarthur style pipes where having an inch or two of ash to have to relight through makes it necessary to do so, otherwise, no way, messes up the way it's loaded for me and screws with my ability to enjoy the pipe

MasterJoda

Never ... I might “ stir “ the contents if I feel a block . Pipe smoking is different than cigars . You can pick up a half bowl later but you really have to smoke a cigar in one sitting or event . As I did in Burma in ‘32 !
I once tried to re-light a cigar the next morning after I didn’t finish it. I might as well have scooped a spoonful of ashes out of my fireplace.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Sales
I went with rarely, which is to say under very specific circumstances, namely stacks/macarthur style pipes where having an inch or two of ash to have to relight through makes it necessary to do so, otherwise, no way, messes up the way it's loaded for me and screws with my ability to enjoy the pipe
Hmm, now you got me thinking, that's dangerous. Anyway, now that I think about it, did the OP mean dump ash half way through or dump the whole contents?
I assumed he meant whole contents. Now, I do dump ash about 1/2 way through at times for the same reason as you, very deep bowls.

SmokeRings

Patron
Hmm, now you got me thinking, that's dangerous. Anyway, now that I think about it, did the OP mean dump ash half way through or dump the whole contents?
I assumed he meant whole contents. Now, I do dump ash about 1/2 way through at times for the same reason as you, very deep bowls.
Just make so your sitting down on something soft before trying to think, it works for me lol, as to the OP, I took it to mean dumping the ash layer mid smoke, but I could be mistaken

Grimpeur

That's how I understood the title at first too: tossing the whole bowl for some reason.

Now I get it...

Somewhere along the line, I developed the habit of dumping the ash out of the bowl after tamping. I'd wager that clenching straight pipes and frequently smoking outdoors would have had something to do with that: a bowl of ash at eye-level coupled with a good breeze will inevitably lead to disaster.

RDPipes

Sales
Just make so your sitting down on something soft before trying to think, it works for me lol, as to the OP, I took it to mean dumping the ash layer mid smoke, but I could be mistaken
I have to sit down to think, brain won't engage standing.............I reckon it's too busy thinking about how long I can keep standing.

CMA: (no, I'm not a drunk, just have disk issues and not the CD kind.)

Deus Ex Fumus

I dump every bowl, sometimes multiple times, if the bowl is deep enough. It’s a feel thing for me, but I find the leaf always burns better when excess ash is removed. Maybe because oxygen is more easily introduced?
The way I do it with most bowls is the gravity test — tilt the bowl slightly and just let what’s loose fall out. That being said, I smoke mostly flakes, ropes, and plugs, so packed tobacco falling out isn’t really an issue. If I am smoking a say, a cube cut, I’ll sometimes give the top of the bowl a little blow to get some of that loose ash off.

RDPipes

Sales
That's how I understood the title at first too: tossing the whole bowl for some reason.

Now I get it...

Somewhere along the line, I developed the habit of dumping the ash out of the bowl after tamping. I'd wager that clenching straight pipes and frequently smoking outdoors would have had something to do with that: a bowl of ash at eye-level coupled with a good breeze will inevitably lead to disaster.
Great minds think alike.