What's new

Does anyone here belong to the Seattle Pipe Club?

WWhermit

I just attended my first meeting at SPC last night. Since moving to Washington, I've been on night shift until recently, so I was happy to finally make it to one of their meetings.

Being the new guy, I wasn't sure what to expect. I found a seat in the cigar lounge, said Hi to the guys around the table, and started talking tobacco. At our table there were about 7 guys with pipes, most of them smoking less than a year. I brought some Stonehaven, some Butternut Burley that I can't smoke, some McClelland's Stave Aged 35 to smoke for myself. I wanted to give those that haven't had Stonehaven before a chance to try it, and this was aged 10 years with some nice plume forming. I didn't talk with one person who was familiar with Stonehaven, which was pretty surprising, but the few that tried it seemed to enjoy it.

I had a good conversation with some of the guys, met a guy named Mark that had a pile, and I mean a literal pile, of pipes for sale, most of them Don Carlos. He had a couple Tsuge, a Pohlmann, some others. Nice guy, tried to take my money, but I told him that if I bought a pipe tonight, the wifey would be at his doorstep by morning with some choice words!!

All in all, I had a good time. I was surprised that there was really no announcements, no new people introducing themselves. Just a bunch of guys that showed up to smoke and talk. It was my first pipe club meeting anywhere, so not sure what to expect, but I guess I was expecting a little bit of formalities.

I'll go back, if nothing else than to be able to talk pipes and tobacco face to face with someone. Here in Washington, if it's not marijuana or vape smoke, people try to run you out of town.

IndigoSmoke

I'm a member of SPC. I live on the other side of the mountains, so I don't make it to many meetings, but what you described is how the "meetings" generally run. They do have special events like the Slow Smoke Contest, where something specific is going on, but generally I think that the meetings would better be described as gatherings or get togethers. None of the ones I've attended have had any official goings on. It's a good group of guys and gals to hang and smoke with. Hope to see you there!

WWhermit

I'm a member of SPC. I live on the other side of the mountains, so I don't make it to many meetings, but what you described is how the "meetings" generally run. They do have special events like the Slow Smoke Contest, where something specific is going on, but generally I think that the meetings would better be described as gatherings or get togethers. None of the ones I've attended have had any official goings on. It's a good group of guys and gals to hang and smoke with. Hope to see you there!
I'll go back for sure. I miss hanging out with other pipe smokers. Love talking pipes and tobacco.