"Drug Store" Blends?

Baccy Bert

Carter Hall and SWRA are my two favourite blends of any sub genre. Regular SWR is good but completely different to the aromatic sibling. Harder to get hold of any US OTCs in Europe but it's worth it. Half & Half just tasted like playdoh to me, couldn't work it out. PA gets an honourable mention, never did try the PA variations.

The Fly Guy

Prince Albert, if you can find it Prince Albert Choice, Carter Hall, Granger, SWR, SWRA, Half and Half, Middleton's Cherry(which is not cherry flavored but named after a street rather). All fine blends and many of them make frequent appearances here. PA and CH took up residence years ago and I feel naked without a tub or more of both.
Is Prince Albert Choice still available anywhere?

BrokenAxe

Since I posted this thread, I have tried a fair amount of OTC blends. I think I can safely say that Prince Albert and Carter Hall are my favorites with PA edging it out by just a bit.

I have also tried and really enjoyed the three "Amphora" blends but I'm hesitant to consider them OTC blends.

This has been a cool experience for me trying these. I know that I will always have PA and CH on hand as they are no-nonsense, simple smokes that always seem to be enjoyable. Open pouch, pack pipe, light and go!

fullmetal2405

I usually smoke an OTC in a cob while I'm driving. I like the save the more "premium" stuff for relaxing on the balcony. Not to knock the OTCs. I've come to look forward to my car smokes. Carter Hall has quickly become my favorite so far. No complaints about PA or SWRA, though. I have unopened pouches of Half and Half and SWR waiting their turn.

Cramptholomew

Do OTC Blends benefit at all from aging? I have a jar of PA, that I hated, so it's been sitting around for a couple years. I mean, I could just try it and see if has gotten any better (my assumption is "no", since it's Burley based and AFAIK Burley doesn't age like other leaf). But, I just wanted ask what the consensus is on aging OTCs.

Russ H.

Fight The Good Fight
What we now call "OTC's" were the standard at one time. My Father was a die hard smoker of Union Leader. Even after the original changed hands--right up to where it was no longer available. That was when He quit smoking a pipe. All the men I knew that smoked a pipe never smoked blends like we have now as far as the variety goes. Carter Hall, Half & Half, SWR, and so on. These were staples of the pipe smoker. The OTC blends were "the" tobaccos of choice because for many that's the only choices they had.

Ellis You

Do OTC Blends benefit at all from aging? I have a jar of PA, that I hated, so it's been sitting around for a couple years. I mean, I could just try it and see if has gotten any better (my assumption is "no", since it's Burley based and AFAIK Burley doesn't age like other leaf). But, I just wanted ask what the consensus is on aging OTCs.
I've smoked a few bowls of Half and Half from the 1960s, and it was superb! They say that age doesn't help burley, so it must have worked its magic on the Virginia half.

Crowley

Carter Hall & Capt Black Royal. Amphora blends i enjoy as well. We have a old timer retired Ironworker that hangs out down at our Hall and that guy been smoking a pipe longer then most of us are a live he is 87 years old and all he ever smokes is yup you know it Carter Hall. I have ask him Man dont you ever smoke anything else? His reply was why? lol.

DGErwin11

Supreme Curmudgeon
Staff member
Carter Hall & Capt Black Royal. Amphora blends i enjoy as well. We have a old timer retired Ironworker that hangs out down at our Hall and that guy been smoking a pipe longer then most of us are a live he is 87 years old and all he ever smokes is yup you know it Carter Hall. I have ask him Man dont you ever smoke anything else? His reply was why? lol.
I like him a lot. A gentleman of refinement and good taste.