Ebay UK shipping

xrundog

Pipe Rescuer
Sales
The story is: A couple months ago I won a lovely 1905 off brand hallmarked straight bulldog. Instead of going though English postal it went through eBay shipping. This seems to be a new development. Anyway they tagged it as a restricted item. They thought it was for weed maybe? I didn’t get a detailed explanation, but I did get a quick refund. So I’m not complaining. But as a result I’ve been leery of UK listings. I do hate to pass up nice pipes. Anybody else experience this, or is it just a one time thing?

Dragonmaster

I have learned the hard way....
I always contact the seller and ask how they ship, if it is China Post or any Ebay program, I pass. I have also learned to ask where they ship from, as many Ebay sellers use mail drops in the U.S., but in reality ship from China. If they say that they ship from the U.S., and you find out after the fact it ships from China, you get an immediate refund. This happens all too frequently.

TomHill

The story is: A couple months ago I won a lovely 1905 off brand hallmarked straight bulldog. Instead of going though English postal it went through eBay shipping. This seems to be a new development. Anyway they tagged it as a restricted item. They thought it was for weed maybe? I didn’t get a detailed explanation, but I did get a quick refund. So I’m not complaining. But as a result I’ve been leery of UK listings. I do hate to pass up nice pipes. Anybody else experience this, or is it just a one time thing?
I think this is a regular thing. I've bought one pipe off of UK ebay, but they specified that they ship through Royal Mail.

Grimpeur

Patron
Sadly, it's a known issue. The buyer doesn't lose, but the seller is S.O.L.: no money, no returns. I've read of this too many times to think it a fabrication: some of those seized, restricted products end up being listed again!

My dad has been a long time user of eBay, buying and selling; he's given up on them.

dmcmtk

Yes, I had the same thing happen. I was refunded, but the pipe effectively disappeared; I'd only brrn looking for an example of this shape from W.O. Larsen for eight years.

larsen723.jpg

The pipe had issuesbut it could have been saved. Shape 72 Straight Grain F (F meaning a flaw).

Luckily during the same period I found two other examples of the shape, one from Larsen in the box and unsmoked, ans the other made by Sven Knudsen for PipeDan. As Former said, the hardest catalog shape to make.

larsen 72.jpg
pipedansquare.jpgpipedansquare3.jpg

Last edited:

Zeno Marx

It's straight-up robbery. They rob the seller. It's OK to sell the item, but then it doesn't meet the shipping restrictions, so they confiscate it and either destroy it or in some way take ownership of it. It's not their property, but they treat it as such. It's incredible that it is legal. I'd like to see a class-action suit against them on this issue alone. And I'm not anti-ebay. I simply do not understand how a private company can take ownership of an item because their process is so egregiously inconsistent and in their favor. Then again, I know city police stations that sell stolen items at auction rather than return the property to the owner, even though the item has a mandatory city sticker that makes it easy to identify the owner (ie bicycles).

Paulfg

yes its a known problem that has been highlighted on other pipe forums.STEER CLEAR OF ANY PURCHASE SHIPPING VIA EBAY GSP,try to get them to ship with local carrier

this is not just a UK problem but happens in US ebay shipping to EU too.
I had a non pipe related item stolem by GSP (no reason given by Ebay) ,I was refunded.Reorder from same seller,shipped via R Mail (UK) going to Greece absolutely no problem with shipping/customs

Sometimes its not the value as you get refunded but the rarity of the item that really annoys you to lose it to this scam
And as a seller your lose the item with no refund having broken no laws,only made up crap from GSP

The choice to use Ebay GLS is down to the seller,you can choose it when creating the listing.it means you ship to a local Ebay distribution centre who complete all the custom forms for you.Saves you the effort.The downside is if like this case it gets seized you as the seller are out of pocket.

TheIronMonkey

eBay Global Shipping flags tobacco items as “drug paraphernalia” and confiscates the items. Neither the buyer or seller get the items. Instead, the seized goods get auctioned off at a later date, and are ironically shipped via Royal Mail.

If there is a pipe I am interested in that lists as being shipped via eBay Global Shipping, I contact the seller, explain the problem with the shipper when it comes to tobacciana and request the item be shipped via Royal Mail if I win. They will sometimes change the listing before the auction’s end. I have read too many horror stories of rare one-of-a-kind pipes not getting into the hands of the collectors that won them.

Paulfg

eBay Global Shipping flags tobacco items as “drug paraphernalia” and confiscates the items. Neither the buyer or seller get the items. Instead, the seized goods get auctioned off at a later date, and are ironically shipped via Royal Mail.

If there is a pipe I am interested in that lists as being shipped via eBay Global Shipping, I contact the seller, explain the problem with the shipper when it comes to tobacciana and request the item be shipped via Royal Mail if I win. They will sometimes change the listing before the auction’s end. I have read too many horror stories of rare one-of-a-kind pipes not getting into the hands of the collectors that won them.
absolutly this,if not walk away,unless you dont mind not getting it.The odds for getting the pipe via GSP are stacked against you

TheIronMonkey

I absolutely hate eBay for many reasons, but this is a relevant one. I had up for sale a lovely Butz Choqin pipe. I am in England and someone in the US bought it because sleezebay had put it in their international sales system. I sent out the pipe and was soon contacted to say that what I was selling was a banned item for international sales (err, they arranged it, not me). The buyer got refunded, I kept the sale proceeds I had received with a refund of selling fee and the pipe got destroyed.
Totally gob smacked and I don't see why the pipe was not returned to me. It was a lovely item.

Keep your eyes peeled for your pipe. Confiscated items often get relisted for auction and resold by the thieves that seized it. It could be a matter of weeks or months.

Top Bottom