Emperor Deluxe Long Shank Billiard

xrundog

Old Pipe Dude
Sales
I was bidding on a super nice Kaywoodie Hand Made push stem bent pipe this weekend. One of the oversize numbers in the Custom Belt style. It had a box and looked like it was barely smoked. I had set up a sniper bid for a middling amount and didn't get it. I guess there are still plenty of Kaywoodie collectors after the good stuff.
Anyway, as a consolation I noodles around looking at various brands I knew had made pipes in that style. I came upon this Emperor Deluxe long shank billiard. It had a "Buy It Now" price under $10 and seem to have a good stem and looked little used. I received it in the mail today. My first impression was that it was barely smoked. No appreciable cake, no tooth wear, it's a nice medium size pipe. The only downside is that the last person to smoke this pipe liked goopers. The first pipe cleaner into the stem went in slooooowly and came out gunked. Ditto the shank. It was like old molasses. It took a lot of scrubby cleaners to get it mostly clean. I've stripped out what little cake there was and everything has either cotton balls or pipes cleaners soaking the gunk out. It should be a really nice pipe. Here's the fresh out of the mail pics.

DSC00271.JPG

DSC00270.JPG

xrundog

Old Pipe Dude
Sales
I figure this pipe as a 40s/50s pipes because to my knowledge, that's when this type of carved finish was popular. I learned on Pipedia that these were fitted with a stinger gimmick. Supposedly the smoke had to change direction to get through the stinger yielding a cooler smoke. The stinger is missing from this pipe which is okay by me. All the pics at Pipedia are courtesy of Doug Valitchka. That guy has the coolest stuff! Here's a link if you're interested.

Emperor Pipes

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
I figure this pipe as a 40s/50s pipes because to my knowledge, that's when this type of carved finish was popular. I learned on Pipedia that these were fitted with a stinger gimmick. Supposedly the smoke had to change direction to get through the stinger yielding a cooler smoke. The stinger is missing from this pipe which is okay by me. All the pics at Pipedia are courtesy of Doug Valitchka. That guy has the coolest stuff! Here's a link if you're interested.

Emperor Pipes

Cool pipe.

I wonder if that "change of direction" from the stinger is to blame for all that gunk in a barely smoked pipe. The turbulence could have just increased the moisture resulting in more gooper gunk.

xrundog

Old Pipe Dude
Sales
Well, this pipe is finished. I probably shouldn't have posted it as this was more of a clean and shine than a restoration. It smokes okay with just occasional hints of vanilla. Without the stinger it has a fairly large bore airway. If only it was bigger. 😄

Emperor Long Shank Billiard 1.JPG

Top Bottom