English Blends: The Spectrum

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
What is the blend with the least amount of Latakia that you find “complete”?
Squadron Leader for me.

I'll just punch a vote in for Commonwealth as a heavy latakia with no other orientals, just virginia in the mix, so you can really taste what the latakia is doing.

Big ugly spicy stuff like Midnight Ride is a lot of fun.

And you can't find it hardly, but King Charles is just amazing. Fruity, zippy, smoky, sour, it's a light English I guess, but wow.

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Patron
Squadron Leader for me.

I'll just punch a vote in for Commonwealth as a heavy latakia with no other orientals, just virginia in the mix, so you can really taste what the latakia is doing.

Big ugly spicy stuff like Midnight Ride is a lot of fun.

And you can't find it hardly, but King Charles is just amazing. Fruity, zippy, smoky, sour, it's a light English I guess, but wow.
I would throw Skiff in there too...it is just below SL for me...if not equal.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
I would throw Skiff in there too...it is just below SL for me...if not equal.
Currently battling this. I smoked lots of SL about 10 years ago, considered it a medium English.

We opened the "Squadron Leader with Perique" about 6 months ago at a gathering, it tasted like a va/per. Like no latakia at all. Odd, I thought.

I opened a Squadron Leader about 3 days ago, it's got... just hardly any latakia. Now, this tin is 5 or more years old. But Latakia doesn't just go away, does it? I have English mixtures easily as old as this (the midnight ride I mentioned, Peretti stuff, all kinds) and the latakia is still pungent and smoky.

Skiff, I feel, has more latakia than this current tin of Squadron Leader (I have fresh skiff open too). It's bizarre.

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Patron
Currently battling this. I smoked lots of SL about 10 years ago, considered it a medium English.

We opened the "Squadron Leader with Perique" about 6 months ago at a gathering, it tasted like a va/per. Like no latakia at all. Odd, I thought.

I opened a Squadron Leader about 3 days ago, it's got... just hardly any latakia. Now, this tin is 5 or more years old. But Latakia doesn't just go away, does it? I have English mixtures easily as old as this (the midnight ride I mentioned, Peretti stuff, all kinds) and the latakia is still pungent and smoky.

Skiff, I feel, has more latakia than this current tin of Squadron Leader (I have fresh skiff open too). It's bizarre.
That is strange, but it is after all a plant and a lot of things come together from growing conditions, yearly crops, ect...so lots of different factors may play a part?

I bought two 250g boxes that I am unsure of the age, but they are at least several years...it tastes different (slightly) than the fresh tin I opened.

Either way it is good..