Epic Peterson Salvage Operation Failure!

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
Chico, there are no limits to what people will do.

I congratulate the OP for trying. I was excited right up to the carved green stripe photo.

I wonder if there is anyone on the planet who would look at any of these and think, "hmmm...let's see...yeah, that would work." I propose a contest where we give each of these pipes to one of our board pipe-makers, and then we vote on the results. Winner gets...something.

View attachment 68614
I veto this contest, I don't want this skanky Carp showing up at my house.

FrankHall

Won't Curse You
Sales
I've done only a few refurbs and basically swore off it. What a mess.
I remember a few years ago when I first thought about restoring pipes - I found a blog that said you'd better really think hard about what's involved before you make that first purchase. You describe it perfectly: "What a mess."

I enjoy restoring the OUTSIDE of the bowls and the stems, and reaming isn't actually that terrible. But I hate cleaning out the airway - just pure stink and nastiness most of the time.

Bukowski

Filthy doesn't bother me anymore. I've seen enough unspeakable things done to pipes done over the years to make me question the very nature of humanity. That said, my days of piecing pipes back together are waning. Heavy restorations sure, but deeply cracked bowls, shattered stummels, and hunks missing from shanks have lost their allure. I do have an appreciation for those who continue to dive off the deep end.

Chico

No judgement at all on you old man. A waste of time in my opinion no matter the result.
Yeah, I was just joking.... We all like to waste our time in our unique own ways. I'm not sure you gauged my age right by my pipe restoration skills, though.... :unsure:

Chico

Filthy doesn't bother me anymore. I've seen enough unspeakable things done to pipes done over the years to make me question the very nature of humanity. That said, my days of piecing pipes back together are waning. Heavy restorations sure, but deeply cracked bowls, shattered stummels, and hunks missing from shanks have lost their allure. I do have an appreciation for those who continue to dive off the deep end.
These were part of a lot of good pipes I actually wanted and got at a good price, so the damaged ones I consider to have been free basically. Fun to mess around with but I won't be seeking them out. My experience before this was basically a good clean, stem polish, and salt-alcohol treatment, and I think that's more my speed.

Bukowski

I hear you, I've received some interesting stuff in lots over the years. That's half the fun. I started collecting mid-century "codger" pipes from lesser known brands after discovering them in estate pipe lots.

LesBleu

Yeah, I was just joking.... We all like to waste our time in our unique own ways. I'm not sure you gauged my age right by my pipe restoration skills, though.... :unsure:
"Old man" is a term we brits apply regardless of age. Rather like the American 'dude' but with somewhat more class.