Esoterica Penzance and Dunbar Mold/Crystal ID

Mpugh777

Had the same thing happen to a paint can of Tashkent. I opened it, jarred some, smoke a little and left some in the can. After a year, I opened it again and there were spores all over the inside of the lid, hairs on the tobacco, and the odor of Latakia someone had left in a moldy basement to cure. Trash.

JimInks

Old Ted Award Winner
For science I’m going to air out the Dunbar, lock the kids in their rooms ( they never leave anyway), and see how the mold progresses. Based on smell alone I doubt I’ll pack a pipe with the Dunbar as that sounds like something a fella who dips PAANCH would do.
Throw it out. Don't smoke any of it. Forget freezing it. That is bad advice. I've discussed this with a friend who has been a genetic botanist for 38 years. Mold can get into your lungs and cause serious damage, even death. Ask yourself if the chance is really worth it for two ounces of tobacco that can be replaced. You can't be replaced.

CrazyIvan779

Throw it out. Don't smoke any of it. Forget freezing it. That is bad advice. I've discussed this with a friend who has been a genetic botanist for 38 years. Mold can get into your lungs and cause serious damage, even death. Ask yourself if the chance is really worth it for two ounces of tobacco that can be replaced. You can't be replaced.
Totally agree.

SeanConnery

Sales
Penzance isn't sugary. All I see is two different molds.

I'll expand on this a bit. I had a USB microscope for a while and went down a rabbithole of trying to look at white build up on tobacco.

sugars
Read the document linked elsewhere on this forum about the crystalization you get from vacsealing tobaccos. In my own work, I can get Dixie Crystal looking sugars on tobacco after just a few weeks under the vacuum a high end sealer provides. This explains why Blackpool in a heat sealed jar with negative pressure starts looking like Superman's North Pole home.

salts
mineral efflorescence, well understood scientific phenomenon. You would need temperature to fluctuate inside the jar, and enough salts in the tobacco for it.

yeasts
which can happen when the microbes in your jar run out of oxygen. open a really old can of straight virginia that was originally fairly moist and the ribbons/flakes may have 'dull patches' of non fuzzy slightly off white. Maybe even streaks. If you don't want your tobacco yeasty, at some point breathe your jars to re-oxygenate them.

mold
it is what is most likely on any tobacco you see in a 'is it mold?' post. If you have to ask, it's mold. I'm not a botanist or biologist but I can play one on the internet. Nobody on a forum is qualified to tell you what is growing on your tobacco. Moreover, the one guy who tries to tell you nobody knows what they are talking about is getting lost in the 'it's fine, just dust it off and snort a line of it' people.

TL;DR: take @JimInks advice and throw it out.

Last edited:

headrott

I'll expand on this a bit. I had a USB microscope for a while and went down a rabbithole of trying to look at white build up on tobacco.

sugars
Read the document linked elsewhere on this forum about the crystalization you get from vacsealing tobaccos. In my own work, I can get Dixie Crystal looking sugars on tobacco after just a few weeks under the vacuum a high end sealer provides. This explains why Blackpool in a heat sealed jar with negative pressure starts looking like Superman's North Pole home.

salts
mineral efflorescence, well understood scientific phenomenon. You would need temperature to fluctuate inside the jar, and enough salts in the tobacco for it.

yeasts
which can happen when the microbes in your jar run out of oxygen. open a really old can of straight virginia that was originally fairly moist and the ribbons/flakes may have 'dull patches' of non fuzzy slightly off white. Maybe even streaks. If you don't want your tobacco yeasty, at some point breathe your jars to re-oxygenate them.

mold
it is what is most likely on any tobacco you see in a 'is it mold?' post. If you have to ask, it's mold. I'm not a botanist or biologist but I can play one on the internet. Nobody on a forum is qualified to tell you what is growing on your tobacco. Moreover, the one guy who tries to tell you nobody knows what they are talking about is getting lost in the 'it's fine, just dust it off and snort a line of it' people.

Very valuable advice here Mr. Bond.😉

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
I wouldn't suggest keeping it to someday smoke. I'm interested in watching the jar fill up with fuzz, how long it takes, what colours it may shift to, etc. If it has patches of mold you can see, it's marbled with mold you can't. Imagine a tin of your coveted blend resting in one's cellar. There's no way to REALLY know what is going on in there until one opens it.

mingc

sugars

salts

yeasts

mold

I notice you didn't mention plume/bloom. Have you ever seen plume/bloom? Or did you mean to include it in your discussion of "sugar," in which case I'd ask if you have ever seen it in non-vac sealed tobacco? Whatever "it" might be.

Haint

Patron
I notice you didn't mention plume/bloom. Have you ever seen plume/bloom? Or did you mean to include it in your discussion of "sugar," in which case I'd ask if you have ever seen it in non-vac sealed tobacco? Whatever "it" might be.
In the cigar world, I have used a jewelers loop to examine it. Plume/bloom will look like crystals. If it's at all fuzzy no matter what color, etc it's mold so throw it out.