Estate Pipes

Finnley Graves

Trash Collecting Pipe Smoking Tobacco Hoarder
Patron
I've seen many sites that have Estate Pipes for sale. Many on Ebay, so forth, and so forth.

Anyone have any idea where good places to actually find the Estate Pipes? If I wanted to buy them and then clean them up, etc, where would I start?

Seems like if I put some effort towards it maybe, I would have a chance at getting some nice pipes. Clean, or restore them, and viola.

Just can't really think of where people would go to find pipes that people no longer want, or whatever.

Thanks,
Finnley

xrundog

Pipe Rescuer
Sales
Ebay. I buy most of my pipes there. There’s good deals to be had for the pipe restorer. If you want high grades you will have to pay up. Lots of competition for those.
Some people do well in local antique and thrift stores. Depends what they are like where you live I think.

Roadking

I've found some killer deals at antique stores. A little tip, if you don't find any at the antique store ask the workers. Lots of stores around me are co-op types that require the vendors work at the store here and there. Most of them have antiques at home or in storage that aren't on display. This is how I found my Dunhill and many other nice estates.

TrubkaJoe

Carpty Diem
Sales
Yeah, eBay. It takes some digging, but you can still find good deals on cool old pipes that haven't been fixed up yet. Careful, the estate pipe game is addictive! It can be maddening trying to sift through all the internet bs on how to do it properly, so I advise not even trying to until you've done a few pipes yourself. This is the place to get started, tried and true: Thread 'Pipe restoration for newbies/novices (by Spillproof)' http://pipesmokersdens.com/threads/pipe-restoration-for-newbies-novices-by-spillproof.433/

PappyJoe

Senior Chief
I also found about half of my pipes at antique shops/malls, antique street fairs and even a couple at flea markets. While most of the pipes I have seen were Kaywoodies and Dr. Grabows, I have also found Savinellis, Ascorti, Petersons. I have seen few Dunhills but have only bought one because of the price.

Finnley Graves

Patron
Depends on what you want. There are a few threads out there with estate vendors, quite a few come up on this site regularly.
Do you have any specific brands in mind?
I didn't really have any particular brand in mind. More of pipes that I think look good, or a deal on a pipe that is worth way more. Or things along those lines.

I've found some killer deals at antique stores. A little tip, if you don't find any at the antique store ask the workers. Lots of stores around me are co-op types that require the vendors work at the store here and there. Most of them have antiques at home or in storage that aren't on display. This is how I found my Dunhill and many other nice estates.
Very Nice. Thanks, I'll keep that in mine.

Yeah, eBay. It takes some digging, but you can still find good deals on cool old pipes that haven't been fixed up yet. Careful, the estate pipe game is addictive! It can be maddening trying to sift through all the internet bs on how to do it properly, so I advise not even trying to until you've done a few pipes yourself. This is the place to get started, tried and true: Thread 'Pipe restoration for newbies/novices (by Spillproof)' http://pipesmokersdens.com/threads/pipe-restoration-for-newbies-novices-by-spillproof.433/
Great thread. Thank you. Short read, but looks like there's a lot of info to digest. I'll look it over.

Here's a good previous thread on the subject.

Great, thank you for the link to thread.

xrundog

Pipe Rescuer
Sales
Found some decent estates on flea bay but eyehump the pics real hard seeing if the bowl and stem are up to your specs.make eye babies with the shots real close so you avoid disappointment come mail call
Yeah, if you're looking on your phone and have doubts, switch to a larger screen to see full size photos. Sometimes I take a chance on a pipe that doesn't work out. That seldom happens. And it always happens with a pipe ignorant seller. I usually just take the hit.

FDengineer

Another source is Etsy. I just bought a "New Old Stock" pipe on there. They had a lot on there and there are some others I have been eyeing.

Another thing I have been thinking about doing is reaching out to some of the local estate sale businesses and asking them if they come across pipes. I'm thinking maybe they might make me a deal if I bought them as a lot when they come across them. I could restore them, keep what I want and sell the others. This second source is not tried yet it is just an idea that I have and have not had a chance to test.

Finnley Graves

Patron
Another source is Etsy. I just bought a "New Old Stock" pipe on there. They had a lot on there and there are some others I have been eyeing.

Another thing I have been thinking about doing is reaching out to some of the local estate sale businesses and asking them if they come across pipes. I'm thinking maybe they might make me a deal if I bought them as a lot when they come across them. I could restore them, keep what I want and sell the others. This second source is not tried yet it is just an idea that I have and have not had a chance to test.
The local estate sale businesses was actually a thought of mine too. For an offline source of pipes that could possibly be bought. Though, I would think that there are probably more than a few people who have also had this idea and already at the top of the list. At least here in Sacramento and surrounding areas. Too populated not to think that unless you deal with a brand new person entering the industry.

FDengineer

The local estate sale businesses was actually a thought of mine too. For an offline source of pipes that could possibly be bought. Though, I would think that there are probably more than a few people who have also had this idea and already at the top of the list. At least here in Sacramento and surrounding areas. Too populated not to think that unless you deal with a brand new person entering the industry.
I am about an hour south of you in San Joaquin county. I am not aware of a brick-and-mortar store within reasonable driving distance that caters to pipes. There may be someone up your way as it is more densely populated and possibly out in the bay somewhere. I am not looked that far but I know there are none in San Joaquin county or the towns in northern Stanislaus county. The higher end cigar stores in the area have a very limited selection and one of them told me they barely move any product. I don't know if it is because it is not popular or because people are just getting their stuff online.

I guess my point is, I do not think the hobby that popular and of the small percentage of the population that does smoke a pipe, the percentage that is actually willing to bulk buy estate pipes and restore them themselves is going to be even smaller. When I have some time I'm going to send some emails but you might be surprised, if you offer to buy everything from an estate, they may be willing to deal with you. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but if you don't ask, the answer is definitely no.

Finnley Graves

Patron
I am about an hour south of you in San Joaquin county. I am not aware of a brick-and-mortar store within reasonable driving distance that caters to pipes. There may be someone up your way as it is more densely populated and possibly out in the bay somewhere. I am not looked that far but I know there are none in San Joaquin county or the towns in northern Stanislaus county. The higher end cigar stores in the area have a very limited selection and one of them told me they barely move any product. I don't know if it is because it is not popular or because people are just getting their stuff online.

I guess my point is, I do not think the hobby that popular and of the small percentage of the population that does smoke a pipe, the percentage that is actually willing to bulk buy estate pipes and restore them themselves is going to be even smaller. When I have some time I'm going to send some emails but you might be surprised, if you offer to buy everything from an estate, they may be willing to deal with you. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but if you don't ask, the answer is definitely no.
You make a fair point. Only thing they could say is no.

There are only a couple places in Sac that I'm aware of for pipes. I haven't been to Tower in maybe 20-25 years but it says online they sell pipes.

Then there is Tobacco Road. A great lounge but caters mostly to cigars. They have about 10 different bulk tobaccos, Peterson I believe based on blend names, and a smattering of pipes. Maybe 10 Savinellis, a handful of Petersons, and a wall of cheaper pipes around 85. Can't remember who makes the wall pipes, but they were all the same Brand.

Other than that I only know of cigar stores. Or "pipe" stores that are really weed pipes and bongs.

Top Bottom