Etiquette

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
The short answer is No.
Swooping in at the last second is what we call "sniping." Sniping is ruthless and infuriating, but it's effective. I have sniped and I have been sniped.

In the realm of Ebay it should be expected.
Sucks, but that's the reality of it.

CBid is basically a war zone.
No one there is your friend, especially the purveyors.

RDPipes

Misogynistic Pipe Maker to the Stars!
Sales
If you don't do it someone will, all's fair in bidding EXCEPT contacting the seller and offering a price.
It's an auction, not a buy it now sale. That's my only pet peeve, people that go behind ones back and try
to over ride the rules. Use to really piss me off when an Estate sale was scheduled for a day and time and
some guy would show up the day or more before the sale and talk his way into the door. Same applies there.
It takes Integrity and Honesty to follow the rules and not do things just because someone else does..

Rybones

One more
Patron
I’ve sniped/been sniped. I remember the good old days of dial up. No clock counting down, had to set your watch after hitting refresh. Then you had to gauge how long it would take your bid to be entered, and hit place bid with the correct time remaining according to your watch. Of course I had the speed enhancer, the pictures wouldn’t fully load, remained fuzzy. 🤣.
I guess I never figured sniping was being rude, just part of the game.

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Sales
Patron
A lot are going to “soft close” so people can continue to bid...sort of like overtime..
Thank goodness we are back to regular auctions here..in fact this weekend is the second live one since GOVCO shut live ones down.....hated online ones anyway, opens the bidding pool up too much and things start going for “retail” prices if your a reseller.

Vandal 6

Treat 'em rough.
Patron
I’ve sniped/been sniped. I remember the good old days of dial up. No clock counting down, had to set your watch after hitting refresh. Then you had to gauge how long it would take your bid to be entered, and hit place bid with the correct time remaining according to your watch. Of course I had the speed enhancer, the pictures wouldn’t fully load, remained fuzzy. 🤣.
I can’t like this post enough. Born late and stuff.

TrubkaJoe

Sales
Snipe away, I say. I do it sometimes, though it's not often been worth the hassle for me this past year. Apparently, a lot of people are using sniping apps these days, so you're probably up against a goldurn computer sometimes.
all's fair in bidding EXCEPT contacting the seller and offering a price
Even for auctions that have both the bid option and the"Make an Offer" option? I've always wondered what's up with the sellers who do that. I've tried it a few times when the starting bid was WAY too high, and no dice, of course. Hope that wasn't some dreadful breach of etiquette on my part!

RDPipes

Sales
Snipe away, I say. I do it sometimes, though it's not often been worth the hassle for me this past year. Apparently, a lot of people are using sniping apps these days, so you're probably up against a goldurn computer sometimes.

Even for auctions that have both the bid option and the"Make an Offer" option? I've always wondered what's up with the sellers who do that. I've tried it a few times when the starting bid was WAY too high, and no dice, of course. Hope that wasn't some dreadful breach of etiquette on my part!

Well if it's setup that way then I reckon it's okay, I'm just talking about people trying to circumvent the obvious.
I think we all know what is right and wrong here and if one doesn't they need to do some soul searching because they evidently lost there's somewhere along the way.
Mama told me a long time ago that the hardest decision you'll ever make is the right one.

RDPipes

Sales
Ah, I remember then, use to take I think 3 minutes from the time you hit bid to the time it took effect. It was certainly a game of odds back then.

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Sales
Patron
Ah, I remember then, use to take I think 3 minutes from the time you hit bid to the time it took effect. It was certainly a game of odds back then.

Thats why with some of the local option the “soft close” kind of levels the playing field...if it comes to the end of the auction and you put a bd in it puts like 2 or 3 minutes back on the clock...and if someone bids again it does so until someone gives up.

RDPipes

Sales
Thats why with some of the local option the “soft close” kind of levels the playing field...if it comes to the end of the auction and you put a bd in it puts like 2 or 3 minutes back on the clock...and if someone bids again it does so until someone gives up.
Yeah, like Gunbroker but, they add 15min. if you bid in the last 15min. and it can go on and on and on, etc. I reckon like a true live auction.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
Not sure where this post might be best, but I have to ask, is there any etiquette expected with regards to online bidding for pipe tobacco and other products? Don’t want to inflame or upset anyone but I’m guilty of ruthlessly swooping in last few seconds. What say ye?

I don't have a problem with what you do.
On all my bids, I set an amount equal to the most I'm willing to pay for the item as my "max bid". If I don't win, it shouldn't (and doesn't) bother me.
Someone was willing to pay more for the item than I was. So, I didn't get it. They did.
That's how an auction should work. Que sera, sera.

Drydock

There have been a few times when I have known that a forum member was bidding on an item & I've stepped aside. Generally it's anonymous and I don't give sniping much thought.

I don't understand "make an offer" where the seller doesn't seem interested in anything less than $5 off.