Fake Dunhill

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
I have a blog written up with more details, but I thought this interesting enough for a thread. (http://bstpipes.com/fakiest/)

A guy showed up on facebook with an old Dunhill, and a bunch of guys started telling him it was fake. It wasn't. It's real for sure, and a bunch of photos he sent me prove it, to my eyes anyhow. But the pic that got everyone riled was this:

oldshell.jpg

And it was decried as fake because we all know all Dunhills are perfect in every way. Except they aren't, never were, and never will be.

My own pipe is from a similar era and is also a little crooked:

realshell2.jpg

But I mean, it came with a box, literature, everything, literally a NOS pipe from 48. And the little things (like that big chamfer on the shank end) tell.

So I wrote this big article up about how basically there aren't any fake Dunhills around cuz it's not worth doing. And then this piece of crap shows up:

fakedunny.jpg

fakedunny2.jpg

And absolutely everything, absolutely everything is wrong about the pipe, the stem shape is bad, looks like a pre-mold sanded down, the stamping makes no sense, the stem is stamped which is not a Dunhill thing... and worst of all, it's rusticated. If ... IF... this pipe was ever a Dunhill, it was a Tanshell (denoted by the T in the stamping). But it ain't one now boyo.

RDPipes

Misogynistic Pipe Maker to the Stars!
Sales
I'm no expert on Dunhill's but, if I was faking one I sure wouldn't have stamped the stem and I can't see anyone else doing it
if they wanted to pass it off as an original. So, my thinking is that it looks to be stamped by a machine and this pipe got mis-stamped in the process.
Although that doesn't explain why it's rusticated. Is it a factory reject an employee got his hands on and decided to try and make it look better with a rustication
because the blast didn't suit him or was also done poorly? Just some thoughts is all. As far as the stem well, I don't know anything about that.

Riff Raff

" So I wrote this big article up about how basically there aren't any fake Dunhills around cuz it's not worth doing. And then this piece of crap shows up: "

Reading the opening post, thats exactly what I thought - Dunhills just aren't bring big bucks any more (unless they are incredibly special).

Forum folks do seem to get a lot of delight out of crying "fake!", most of the time, those suspect pipe look legit to my amateur eye. (I only have two Dunhills and no taste for any more)

Then I saw the anomaly! I suppose at some point there were fake Dunhills floating around, and suspect they are still out there and surface from time to time. But I seriously doubt anyone is creating new fakes at this time.

In the early to mid 1980’s, a large number of fake Dunhills surfaced. They created a major controversy at the tine. The first Pipe show I ever attended was the very first one held in Chattanooga sponsored by the now defunct Pipe Collectors International at a Holiday Inn in Chattanooga, TN. Rich Esserman says that show occurred in 1985, my memory would have placed it a year or two earlier, but Rich is seldom wrong

ALL of the buzz at tha show was about whether or not a large number of Dunhills that had surfaced at a show that was held previously in St. Louis were real or fake. Many, but not all, were magnum sized. As years passed, it was generally agreed that when the Dunhill works moved, I guess to Walthamstow, some employees who had been downsized made off with some unfinished pipes and a lot of stamps. Names were named, but the most obvious suspect denied (Credibly, to many) having anything to do with it but did profess to know who did, though he wouldn’t divulge any names.

If anyone has access to The Pipe Smokers Ephemeris back issues, Richard Esserman has a very lengthy retrospective on this controversy in the last issue Tom Dunn published, I believe in 2005. There was a lot of money involved in this controversy. The figure $1200 sticks in my mind about one. Friendships were ruined.

The stamps have never been recovered.