Fake?

Wapask.204

Patron
Sales
Pressed seems more prone to cracking. Try the saliva test on the freshly exposed meer.

@nineX19guy what he means by the saliva test is to take your thumb and lick it so its moist with saliva and press it against some of the fresh exposed broken meerschaum and hold it for a second, see if it feels slightly stuck to the meerschaum. If it feels like a slight tacky, it means it is block meerschaum, if it doesn't feel like there is any kind of adhesive at all, it is pressed meerschaum.

Thelonious monkfish

@nineX19guy what he means by the saliva test is to take your thumb and lick it so its moist with saliva and press it against some of the fresh exposed broken meerschaum and hold it for a second, see if it feels slightly stuck to the meerschaum. If it feels like a slight tacky, it means it is block meerschaum, if it doesn't feel like there is any kind of adhesive at all, it is pressed meerschaum.
Thanks for clarifying, suppose I could have.

Bummer on the broken pipe but you could make a tamper or something from the shank maybe, like a momento. I only smoke the African stuff, it's pretty durable, not as light as Turkish. The mines are long closed and it seems interest in them has grown recently and driven up prices otherwise I'd suggest one. I still do. A lot of people on here can recommend good brands for Turkish block meers if you're looking to replace it.

Wapask.204

Patron
Sales
Thanks for clarifying, suppose I could have.

Bummer on the broken pipe but you could make a tamper or something from the shank maybe, like a momento. I only smoke the African stuff, it's pretty durable, not as light as Turkish. The mines are long closed and it seems interest in them has grown recently and driven up prices otherwise I'd suggest one. I still do. A lot of people on here can recommend good brands for Turkish block meers if you're looking to replace it.
No worries man I just figured I'd clarify so he wasn't having to search the forums. I was on my PC and not my phone so it's easy to hammer out a few lines of text without getting frustrated by autocorrect and my stubby thumbs.

Chasing Embers

Is fake meerschaum a thing? I accidentally broke my meerschaum today. I was surprised to see the saturation level of color from the inside out. As in, I was surprised to see that after roughly 100 bowls, this was all I had.
View attachment 161818
After cutting a heavily colored one open myself, I'm no longer convinced that they do color from the inside.

20210913_033855.jpg20220618_010109.jpg20220618_010027.jpg

A more dramatic example was done several years ago. The only internal darkening is from the saw blade dragging the chamber carbon through the meerschaum.

Screenshot_20220614-155455_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220614-155452_Gallery.jpg

Place your tongue on the meerschaum. If it sticks, it's block.

Last edited:

Benjamin Meyer

After cutting a heavily colored one open myself, I'm no longer convinced that they do color from the inside.

View attachment 161840View attachment 161841View attachment 161842

A more dramatic example was done several years ago. The only internal darkening is from the saw blade dragging the chamber carbon through the meerschaum.

View attachment 161846View attachment 161847

That's a nice experiment. I've often wondered what colored meerschaum looked like on the inside. But what did these two pipes do to deserve to get sawed into pieces like that?

Yakster

View attachment 161840View attachment 161841View attachment 161842

View attachment 161846View attachment 161847

Very interesting, thanks for doing this and posting the results. It seems that the the color is happening only on the outside of the pipe where the pipe is hottest, yet when you see the coloring bowl experiments you see more even coloring on the pipe with the pipe exposed to less heat.\

It would be interesting to see the cutaway view of a pipe smoked with just a coloring bowl for comparison purposes. It almost seems like the buildup in the bowl may prevent the coloring from migrating from the inside of the pipe to the outside, if that's what's really happening with a coloring bowl.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
Very interesting, thanks for doing this and posting the results. It seems that the the color is happening only on the outside of the pipe where the pipe is hottest, yet when you see the coloring bowl experiments you see more even coloring on the pipe with the pipe exposed to less heat.\

It would be interesting to see the cutaway view of a pipe smoked with just a coloring bowl for comparison purposes. It almost seems like the buildup in the bowl may prevent the coloring from migrating from the inside of the pipe to the outside, if that's what's really happening with a coloring bowl.

That sure would be a very interesting experiment.
Pics recently posted in another thread here seemed to show that coloring on a meer provided by a coloring bowl is not as permanent as that which results from coloring via normal smoking. So, it would certainly be likely that the inside would also be different from one to the other.

Chasing Embers

I've noticed that it seems like it's just the wax changing color when heated. The discoloration when using a coloring bowl could be that the pipe is getting a uniform stream of warm air starting from the top of the chamber instead of the gradual heat of the ember working its way down the tobacco. Twice I've seen the color wiped away entirely by liquid wax and an alcohol wipe done by members of another forum.

Chasing Embers

I've read that pressed meerschaum can be identified by its pinkish patina as opposed to developing a patina that is yellow, orange or brown. I don't know if this is true but if anyone can comment it would be appreciated.
Natural meerschaum comes out in shades of whites, pinks, greens, and blues. This one started with a pink hue down the shank before it started settling into brown.

20220907_154900.jpg

Top Bottom