Falcon - Packing/Air Flow

Isaac

Sales
Patron
Been smoking my first Falcon pipe for a week or so now. I’ve had about 5 bowls so far and every time I have restricted air flow. Each time I pack lighter and lighter and it still happens. I feel like no matter what the tobacco just blocks the bottom of the bowl, but I know many of you smoker with more experience have excellent smokes in these pipes. So I’m certain I’m the problem. :) Help! Is there a trick? Do you pack these differently than a cob or briar? So far, 4 of the 5 bowls were Carter Hall.

Edit: 3 bowls with a Meer billiard bowl and 2 with a briar billiard bowl. Same results with both.

tipofthelake

Reputable source, posts found on the internet
Patron
Been smoking my first Falcon pipe for a week or so now. I’ve had about 5 bowls so far and every time I have restricted air flow. Each time I pack lighter and lighter and it still happens. I feel like no matter what the tobacco just blocks the bottom of the bowl, but I know many of you smoker with more experience have excellent smokes in these pipes. So I’m certain I’m the problem. :) Help! Is there a trick? Do you pack these differently than a cob or briar? So far, 4 of the 5 bowls were Carter Hall.
I haven't noticed any issues, but being a falcon you could pop the bowl off and poke the offending bit out of the way and go back to smoking.

Isaac

Sales
Patron
I haven't noticed any issues, but being a falcon you could pop the bowl off and poke the offending bit out of the way and go back to smoking.

Yep like Tip said...
When I pack a Falcon I unscrew the bowl and clear any bits that fell down into the recess below the bowl before I spark it. That's the only place where an obstruction can occur- unless you've sucked some leaf into the stem (then run a PC).
Now that you mention this I can’t believe I didn’t think to do that. Thanks, guys! :) I’m going to give that a try.

WrightwoodJohn

Patron
Take sandpaper & bevel the bottom of the bowl, just a tad at a time. (the inside edge of the opening at the bottom of the bowl, your just trying to eliminate that edge to allow better flow)
This has been brought up before, and it works fantastic, game changer on the draw.
I've got some photos somewhere or I'll try to take new ones & post them here.

Ray Mackessy

It's most likely the stem, as others have noted. Make sure there is no dent on the stem and the button is not blocked. I really don't think it's the bowl or your packing method. If you use one of those Falcon rings, take it out and try again. I personally don't use a Falcon ring because I don't think they make much difference..

Isaac

Sales
Patron
I must still be doing something wrong. Haven’t tried the bevel yet...only worked on how I pack it. Air flow still blocked. I’m even smoke so PS LBF in it now instead of loose tobacco thinking there’s no way airflow would bet blocked with just two coins folded in half and gently put into the bowl. I was wrong. :(

SonoranHotDog

Pass the Jalapeños
Something is not right. I've experienced nothing but excellent draw from each, and every one of my Falcons. It's time to bevel. (I am assuming in this remark that the frame, without the bowl attached, is not restricted in, and of itself... and, that the assembled pipe is restricted without tobacco)

Isaac

Sales
Patron
The frame seems fine. The restriction is from tobacco falling into the hole at the bottom of the bowl. I removed the bowl pre-light and pushed the tobacco back up a little as advised. After lighting, tampered ever so gently as to not push tobacco back down into the hole. And after about a few puffs I can feel the draw starting to be restricted. A few puffs more and it’s like drinking a thick milk shake through a straw. :/ I let the bowl cool off and removed it and pushed tobacco back up, lighted up again and same result.

jpberg

The Worst Thing about the Internet
Staff member
Sales
If you draw on the pipe when it’s empty, does it seem fine?
If so, pack the bowl, Fire it up, then send the spike part of a pipe tool down until you hit aluminum.
I think if draw is normal when empty then your packing is, for some reason, just fiddle sticksed up.