Falcon - Packing/Air Flow

Isaac

Sales
Patron
If you draw on the pipe when it’s empty, does it seem fine?
If so, pack the bowl, Fire it up, then send the spike part of a pipe tool down until you hit aluminum.
I think if draw is normal when empty then your packing is, for some reason, just fiddle sticksed up.
Draw’s fine when empty. And when I first light it’s fine. It’s like when I draw, the tobacco is being pulled down and clogs the hole. :/ I’ll try the spike tool. Thanks!

Isaac

Sales
Patron
Could you try another cut of tobacco?
I’ve tried a few different ones. All ribbon at first. Then tried the Luxury Bullseye Coins. Figured just folding the coins and stuffing them in would keep it from happening but it didn’t. Weird too, it’s not down IN the draft hole of the bowl. It’s like it just keeps blocking the top of it. And when I push it away last time (the LBF), the entire bowl tobacco raised up.

Or dry the tobacco a bit longer.

ETA: @Isaac how hard are
you tamping down after the
initial charring light?
Thanks! I’ll try drying longer.

Barely tamping at all. Just enough to level the pieces of tobacco that flare up upon lighting. And after tamping, the draw is fine for a few puffs. I don’t THINK I’m drawing to hard, but eventually it’s restricted.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Not yet......but I haven't smoked it since. I'll give it another go here soon, with both bowls I have, and see if I can figure it out. I'll report back when I do. :)
I‘m wondering if you’re having the same problems with a different falcon too?

And: have you tried to let it cool without doing anything at all and see if it’s still restricted when cooled?

I know chances are good there’s nothing wrong with the pipe, but it’s still possible. If the restriction goes away when the pipe cools, you may need some tinkering with the pipe.

Isaac

Sales
Patron
I‘m wondering if you’re having the same problems with a different falcon too?

And: have you tried to let it cool without doing anything at all and see if it’s still restricted when cooled?

I know chances are good there’s nothing wrong with the pipe, but it’s still possible. If the restriction goes away when the pipe cools, you may need some tinkering with the pipe.
I only have one falcon and two bowls, a briar and a meer. So far it does it with both.

So far it's started after just a few puffs, before the pipe has a chance to get hot. Perhaps I'm puffing too hard and pulling the tobacco down into the hole at the bottom of the bowl and blocking it? :/

snake

permanent ankle biter
Sales
Patron
I only have one falcon and two bowls, a briar and a meer. So far it does it with both.

So far it's started after just a few puffs, before the pipe has a chance to get hot. Perhaps I'm puffing too hard and pulling the tobacco down into the hole at the bottom of the bowl and blocking it? :/
Try packing with this method:

Or what's called a cannonball.
Take a large pinch of tobacco,
wad it up into a ball, and put
it in the upper portion of the
bowl. This leaves a "pocket"
of air below the tobacco so
you're not pulling tobacco into
the humidome.

SmokeRings

Patron
Sounds to me like you may be putting too much tobacco in the bowl to begin with, and it is expanding to block airflow, you might try reducing the amount of tobacco you put in there, and also drying it out a bit more, all this presupposes that you have run a PC from the button all the way to the humidome and found no obstructions, in which case my advice does not apply, the guys suggesting to bevel the bowls are right, it makes a great deal of improvement as well.

Isaac

Sales
Patron
Okay. I’m currently enjoying a bowl of CH with no issues! I’ve identified two problems as the cause:
1) I was packing I little too much tobacco into the bowl. I cut it back and packed very loose and the draw is fine in my Briar bowl. In the Meer bowl,...well...this didn’t work which leads me to...
2) While testing the draw with the same loose pack as the Briar bowl, it was restricted. I emptied and repacked...restricted. I emptied, unscrewed the bowl and check for obstructions in the stem. Fine and no restrictions on the draw with the bowl off. I put the bowl back on and repacked loosely...restricted. Emptied the bowl and drew on the pipe with no bowl and it’s fine, no restriction to the draw. Screw the Meer bowl on and as soon as it’s seated, the draw is restricted without any tobacco in the bowl. Appears that once screwed on, the dome in the humidome is plugging the hole in the bottom of the bowl. I only have one stem and two bowls. The Briar bowl is fine. The Meer bowl is now the only one I’m having trouble with.

So, now I’m to the beveling solution? Can I bevel the Meer bowl? What’s the best way to go about that?

And thanks for all the advice and pointers! It’s very much appreciated. :)

Isaac

Sales
Patron
and, that the assembled pipe is restricted without tobacco)
If you draw on the pipe when it’s empty, does it seem fine?
Sorry. In reading the responses I was so focused in the packing and what appeared to be tobacco plugging the hole that I didn’t get to trying these until tonight. With the Briar bowl, it was the tobacco being too much and packed too tightly. With the Meer, it was exactly this. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Rybones

One more
Patron
Maybe a picture of the bottom of the two bowls would help. If the meer bowl was constructed wrong, you may need to remove material from the bottom so it doesn't contact the dome. Of course a chamfer might do the trick, you may want to try that first.
I just measured some of my bowls:
Meer .190
Meer .200
Briar .200
Briar .230
Old American briar .320
All measured from gasket to high point of bowl bottom. All smoke great. Here is a pick of my tallest, .320

SmokeRings

Patron
Sorry. In reading the responses I was so focused in the packing and what appeared to be tobacco plugging the hole that I didn’t get to trying these until tonight. With the Briar bowl, it was the tobacco being too much and packed too tightly. With the Meer, it was exactly this. Thanks for the help!
Glad we were able to help troubleshoot this for you, that's something this crew has never once failed at in the years I have been around, somebody inevitably figures out whatever I was doing wrong and it saves countless hours of grief, I have heard many issues with threading on Meer bowls, and I do not own one myself, but I bet @snake has probably smoked out of one more than most of the Forum combined and I think @WalkinStick puts a few miles on his if memory serves, hopefully somebody can point you in the right direction.