Sales
Patron
@Isaac you probably don’t have to
bevel the meer bowl. Just use a
small blade to remove excess
cake from the bottom hole in the
bowl. Do you have a pic of the
bottom of the meer bowl?
The Briar bowl measures 5.5mm and the Meer 4.5mm. One thing I noticed, as you can kinda see in the last picture, is that the bottom of the Meer bowl is flat. And almost a little inverted around the rim of the hole. The Briar isn’t that way.
F14771AD-786E-4E7E-A93C-5D7B31D1DBA4.jpeg

D665870B-B124-460B-B78D-BAEA5213873B.jpeg

6002AE14-A821-4AC7-8A33-653EFF985415.jpeg

Isaac

Sales
Patron
Good pics!
Yep just take a pocket
knife and carefully
scrape away any carbon
within the hole. If it
still gives you trouble,
send it to me and i will
set it straight and have
it back to you in no time.
I’ll give it a go.

Wow! Thank you for your offer. That is beyond generous and very much appreciated! :) I’ll let you know if I still have trouble.

Isaac

Sales
Patron
Thanks @snake! Scraped the inside a little and around the inside edge a little. Draw improved greatly and it’s currently smoking wonderfully. That edge is awfully soft, so I may have inadvertently beveled it a little. Either way, the stem is drawing the same with the bowl on or off.

I thank all of you for your help and input. It’s very much appreciated. :) Now time to start looking for a second falcon!

Okay. I’m currently enjoying a bowl of CH with no issues! I’ve identified two problems as the cause:
1) I was packing I little too much tobacco into the bowl. I cut it back and packed very loose and the draw is fine in my Briar bowl. In the Meer bowl,...well...this didn’t work which leads me to...
2) While testing the draw with the same loose pack as the Briar bowl, it was restricted. I emptied and repacked...restricted. I emptied, unscrewed the bowl and check for obstructions in the stem. Fine and no restrictions on the draw with the bowl off. I put the bowl back on and repacked loosely...restricted. Emptied the bowl and drew on the pipe with no bowl and it’s fine, no restriction to the draw. Screw the Meer bowl on and as soon as it’s seated, the draw is restricted without any tobacco in the bowl. Appears that once screwed on, the dome in the humidome is plugging the hole in the bottom of the bowl. I only have one stem and two bowls. The Briar bowl is fine. The Meer bowl is now the only one I’m having trouble with.

So, now I’m to the beveling solution? Can I bevel the Meer bowl? What’s the best way to go about that?

And thanks for all the advice and pointers! It’s very much appreciated. :)

Glad that you worked it out.
Just to add; Occasionally when the draw is too tight - probably because I've packed the bowl a touch too tight - I find that loosening the bowl ever so slightly solves the problem.

Last edited:
Glad that you worked it out.
Just to add; Occasionally when the draw is too tight - probably because I've packed the bowl a touch too tight - I find that loosening the bowl ever so slightly solves the problem.
This seems to be true of my meerschaum bowls, especially. I might loosen up the bowl a tiny fraction during my smoke to keep it flowing nicely. Otherwise, I'd just stick the pointy end of my pipe tool into the bowl and drag the wad of tobacco up off of the aluminum a bit, leaving a small air pocket below.

snake

permanent ankle biter
Sales
Patron
Thanks @snake! Scraped the inside a little and around the inside edge a little. Draw improved greatly and it’s currently smoking wonderfully. That edge is awfully soft, so I may have inadvertently beveled it a little. Either way, the stem is drawing the same with the bowl on or off.

I thank all of you for your help and input. It’s very much appreciated. :) Now time to start looking for a second falcon!
Excellent! Glad that
solved the problem.