Favorite straight Virginia? Current available tobaccos.

gnossos

the pineapple on your pizza
Patron
That's a good list compilation so far, but I'm surprised Astley's No. 44 ain't made it yet, it's always sold out.

I don't smoke many straight Va's, but when I do the #44 is one of the few I choose.

If you like the darker side Va. taste characterized by graham crackers, golden toast, rooty earthiness, fresh baked bread, grandma's biscuits, minor spice, slight citrus, peculiar sweetness, creamy nuttiness, stoved notes, oatmeal with honey tones, all in for an elemental monochromatic flavor spectrum,
then you may like #44.
I completely forgot. This and Wessex Dark Flake. He asked for favorite though, not a list, you rule-breaker you.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My favourite Virginia back in the day was Rob McConnell’s Scottish Flake.
I realize there has been a lot of debate as to the ingredients through the years, but what I smoked was labeled as a pure Red Virginia.
View attachment 49377

View attachment 49378
I have no idea what's in Scottish Flake, but it's a bold, assertive blend and I like it.

Flakesmoker

I've been loving Robert McConnell Red Virginia lately.
That Va. never settled well with me. It had a strange strawberry like topping that nipped my tongue a bit.

That said, I built most of my cellar from say 2005 'til around 2014. Many of the blends I've cellared have changed quite a lot since, recipe wise. Heck, I never knew C&D and Pease had changed the cut of their blends until just last year.
Maybe I should pick up a tin or three of the current renditions just to "keep up with the times", so to say.;)

Ozark Wizard

Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
That Va. never settled well with me. It had a strange strawberry like topping that nipped my tongue a bit.

That said, I built most of my cellar from say 2005 'til around 2014. Many of the blends I've cellared have changed quite a lot since, recipe wise. Heck, I never knew C&D and Pease had changed the cut of their blends until just last year.
Maybe I should pick up a tin or three of the current renditions just to "keep up with the times", so to say.;)
I actually preferred the chunkier cut off old to the thin ribbons of today. Two Friends Redwood is a whole different thing now.