Favorite straight Virginia? Current available tobaccos.

SmokeRings

Patron
A long time ago, on the old board, a member named Puff said that Dunhil Flake was so good he’d smoke if even if it were called Gorilla ::ass::crack Flake. GAF stuck.
I'd be lying if I said that when Dunhill "went away" and before we knew it was going to be reintroduced as Peterson, that not seeing references to GAF was a significant factor in why I was sad...good times that thread.

cigrmaster

Here is my list of favorite Va Flakes. The TR next to a name menas tin ready no dry time needed for my tastes.
Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug TR
Fribourg and Treyer VintageTR
Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown FlakeTR
Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake
Wessex Brown Virginia Flake TR
Wessex Gold Virginia Flake TR
Wessex Gold Brick TR
Wessex Gold Slice TR
Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake
Samuel Gawith full Virginia Flake
Samuel Gawith Kendal Plug
Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster TR
Dan Tobacco Patriot Flake TR
Dunhill Flake TR= discontinued TR
Astley’s no. 44 Dark Flake -TR
Astleys 109
John Aylesbury Luxury Flake now called Classic Flake TR
Rotary Navy Cut TR- discontinued
Capstan Blue Flake TR
Capstan Gold RR
Brigham Klondike Gold TR-discontinued
Butera Royal Vintage: Dark Stoved- discontinued

FrankHall

Won't Curse You
Sales
If it weren’t such a pain to get, I’d have bricks of it. I ran out and just quit chasing it.
After finding out I love SG Kendal Plug, found this excellent thread while looking for PSD member thoughts on other straight Virginias. Today has been a 'straight Virginia' day - had GL Pease Union Station, Astley's #44 and Wessex Gold Brick. All good, but all left me wishing I had at least had one bowl of Kendal Plug.

Apologies if this sounds stupid, but regarding SG Full Virginia Plug - is it much different from Full Virginia Flake (haven't tried it, but will soon)? Would it be worthwhile to rub out some Full Virginia Flake and then press into a plug?

Mrm1775

After finding out I love SG Kendal Plug, found this excellent thread while looking for PSD member thoughts on other straight Virginias. Today has been a 'straight Virginia' day - had GL Pease Union Station, Astley's #44 and Wessex Gold Brick. All good, but all left me wishing I had at least had one bowl of Kendal Plug.

Apologies if this sounds stupid, but regarding SG Full Virginia Plug - is it much different from Full Virginia Flake (haven't tried it, but will soon)? Would it be worthwhile to rub out some Full Virginia Flake and then press into plug?
If you like fvf - the plug is very worthwhile, you'll need an overseas connection though.

If pressed fvf was as good as fvp, I would have many pounds of plug.
I've tried, its just not the same.
FVF and BBF mixed and pressed isn't bad at all.

FrankHall

Won't Curse You
Sales
If you like fvf - the plug is very worthwhile, you'll need an overseas connection though.

If pressed fvf was as good as fvp, I would have many pounds of plug.
I've tried, its just not the same.
FVF and BBF mixed and pressed isn't bad at all.
Thanks - I'll be in Scotland in May for my daughter's wedding, so I'll look for it. I'll probably visit Ireland via Northern England, Wales and the Holyhead ferry, so there should be plenty of opportunities for tobacco searching.

Meanwhile, I'll try that last suggestion of yours. 50/50 ratio?