Figuring out old boy style lighters

Frotz

cause something to give off light
Patron
Last night I was at a restaurant with family when the tealight candle under the fondue pot went out. I passed my Peterson old-boy lighter down the table. Two people were mystified by its operation. One tried to press down the cap over the nozzle. The other tried pushing in the knurled end of the flint tube. The place was too tight for me to stand up and go over there, so we flagged down a waiter with a long-nosed lighter.

Are there any other amusing stories about people trying to use lighters of a design unfamiliar to them?

Adam Bybee

Sales
My old boy style lighter got flagged at airport security one time. The TSA agent appeared to be pretty flummoxed by it. I offered to show her how it worked but got the little "we'll request your help if it is required" statement and then had to watch her fiddle with it while cringing a bit inside (it's a cheap knockoff, so I wasn't THAT worried). After a minute or so she did ask to see its operation and I flicked the cap off, lit it for a moment and then snapped the cap closed to shut it off.

She then mentioned something about cigar lighters not being allowed and I explained that cigar lighters with pre-mixed flames were not allowed but that regular butane lighters were allow and that this was the latter. This discussion did not help the confusion. She flagged over the senior TSA agent, an older fellow, who took one look at it and said "ah, yeah, that's fine".

Arkie

My old boy style lighter got flagged at airport security one time. The TSA agent appeared to be pretty flummoxed by it. I offered to show her how it worked but got the little "we'll request your help if it is required" statement and then had to watch her fiddle with it while cringing a bit inside (it's a cheap knockoff, so I wasn't THAT worried). After a minute or so she did ask to see its operation and I flicked the cap off, lit it for a moment and then snapped the cap closed to shut it off.

She then mentioned something about cigar lighters not being allowed and I explained that cigar lighters with pre-mixed flames were not allowed but that regular butane lighters were allow and that this was the latter. This discussion did not help the confusion. She flagged over the senior TSA agent, an older fellow, who took one look at it and said "ah, yeah, that's fine".
That is why I won't take anything through the airport that I can't afford to be confiscated by TSA. Each of the agents has their idea about what is not ok to be taken on board.

Drydock

In general, I find many people either aren't handy or curious enough to understand how to figure something out.

I cannot tell you how many times I've handed off a liner lock knife to a colleague & then watch struggle to close it. Without much exploration or critical eyeballing & thinking--they just hand it back. I always show ppl how it works so they can add that to their mechanical knowledge. Don't know if they care, but it's such a simple lock & common, that I hope it does help them in the future.

I love trying to figure out stuff. It worries me when I see people just give up and not really even try to 'get it.' I've been stumped before--but at least I try, even if I do feel a bit silly that I couldn't do it myself.