Finding Good Pipe Cleaners

JustScott

Another vote for Dill's here. I'm always curious about the other brands of pipe cleaners, but a few bad experiences keep me with the ones I know are good. I saw zen cleaners mentioned, I tried those years back and was amazed by how awful they were. Covered in fuzz, pull them between thumb and index to remove the fuzz, now half the cotton is gone and THERE'S MORE FUZZ! And they were like $3.50 for, I think, 18 or 20 (didn't know any better). So, zen cleaners are both the most expensive pipe cleaners I've ever tried, and also the absolute worst. I wonder about the 100 for $2, but usually stay with 32 for $2 from Dill's, because I know they are really great.

Fr_Tom

PSD Chaplain
Old Ted Award Winner
Another vote for Dill's here. I'm always curious about the other brands of pipe cleaners, but a few bad experiences keep me with the ones I know are good. I saw zen cleaners mentioned, I tried those years back and was amazed by how awful they were. Covered in fuzz, pull them between thumb and index to remove the fuzz, now half the cotton is gone and THERE'S MORE FUZZ! And they were like $3.50 for, I think, 18 or 20 (didn't know any better). So, zen cleaners are both the most expensive pipe cleaners I've ever tried, and also the absolute worst. I wonder about the 100 for $2, but usually stay with 32 for $2 from Dill's, because I know they are really great.
The Zen cleaners here are either $.96 or $.98 at Low Bob's. I have only gotten them in bristle - pretty sure. I think each bundle is 44 now (or in this market maybe). They are definitely second choice to the Randy's tapered for me. In a quality, non-tapered cleaner, the Dill's really are good, but I rarely buy them. When I do, there is the nostalgia thing because that was all my father used.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Yup, a quick pull between your thumbnail and pointer finger will get rid of loose fuzz.
Been doing the same thing since starting to smoke a pipe.

I really don't know what that hassle is all about. I mean, has anyone really ever had a pipe cleaner that was so poorly made it couldn't be used?
A little lose fuzz is dealt with quickly, so what's the problem?

I understand if you have an unheated shop, you might have a problem with rust if you leave some pipe cleaners out their for half a year. I've done that once,
taught me to use them instead.

No offense meant: I just thought this is a very funny discussion here.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Yes. I’ve had a couple different brands that were so bad that I threw the rest of the pack away after using one or two cleaners.
wow that is something. I am sorry to hear that. I consider the sale of bad pipe cleaners an attack
on the wellbeing of my pipes.

I don't get it. Pipe cleaners don't look like they're so hard to make, and I really haven't seen a single
bad one in my entire life.

Old Tom

I use B.J. Longs and have for years. I use the bristle type to clean the stem and shank bore, the thin ones to clean the bore after using the bristle and the thick one for swabbing the bowl.
I believe they used to make a tapered variety but I haven't seen these in some time.