What's new

First Go w/ Snuff

greenmonster714

More great info for the new. Thanks a bunch guys. I'm enjoying this more every day. I do like the bullet. At first it was hard to not inhale to hard but I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

I've tried a little off of a pipe tool I have. It kinda looks like a small spoon. That did okay but I need more practice finding my nostril..lol. It can get messy.

I've noticed that all of the snuff samples I have seem to all be very fine. I'm not very schooled on the different types yet but I'm slowly gaining speed.

So I've heard mention the sweet snuffs. Do they have a sweet taste to them? Id like to order some but don't really know what to get. I like sweet and sweet sniff sounds interesting if it's what I'm assuming it would taste like. Any suggestions on a sweet sniff for a newb?

I've pretty much stuck with the wild berry. It's okay but not as berry as I thought it would be but enjoyable none the less. My next bullet full will prob be the citrus or sp. Not sure yet but I've got a lot of choices to choose from. I like that..lol.

greenmonster714

The bullet may or may not be something you like. Some people like them, many do not. I've never tried a bullet, as I get along best with pinching. For me that's the easiest, but it's like smoking a pipe, something different works for everyone. Sounds like it's going too far up, though you may get to a place where you like it that way (when the Garrett hits my upper sinus, I know it's gonna be all right, lol...) You'll still get the occasional back or front drip, but for the most part it stops once your technique is dialed in. The burn will fade as your tissues get accustomed to the practice, but some snuffs will always burn a little. Some, more than a little.
I like the pinch because it's easy to control the amount of snuff going up, and by varying the distance it's easier to not have it hit my throat (which sometimes still happens when I've waited too long and I'm feeling a NEED for it.) If you try a pinch, try it 1/2" or so out from your nostril, then vary it until you find your "sweet spot". Also, you don't have to sniff as hard as you think, even with a little distance. The bullet doesn't allow for any distance, which is one reason it's not everyone's favorite.
Another thing to consider is the grind. You'll probably notice that some of them (most likely the SP Extra, but almost definitely the Toast) are going to be finer. The finer the grind, the lighter the sniff, and probably the greater the distance between nose and fingers (or hand or thumbnail, however you're doing it.) The last piece of advice I have here is to always close your snuff container before you take it. Sometimes there's not a lot of warning that you're going to sneeze. That's not a fun lesson to learn the hard way...
Yes, I agree about the sneezing. It can come on quickly and forgetting to close the lid could resemble a three stooges skit. You mention distance and though I've not tried it with the pinch method the bullet does give me a little control like you mentioned. Ive been using my finger n thumb to gauge space between my nostil and bullet. It seems to work much better after trying it that way. I'll give the pinch a try and see how that goes.
It's certainly been fun learning something new. Specially when it involves nicotine..lol.

greenmonster714

This thread is really getting me to want to place my first snuff order...
It took me a while to finally order some but I'm glad I did. Definitely a enjoyable new method of using tobacco. I had my doubts at first but I'm slowly learning the curve and find myself reaching for my bullet a lot.

Toque has some sales and sample packs that are reasonable and a lot of folks order from Mr Snuff as well. I got ten ten gram cans for $20 so I thought that would be a good start. Give it a try. You'll never know if ya don't.

greenmonster714

Okay, so I got to sifting through my little stash of toque snuff. I'd heard a lot of folks like the natural toast so I opened the can and had a pinch.
Holy Cow that stuff is so fine it shot somewhere behind my eyeball and built a fire pit..lol. I'd read that it was a fine grind but now I see why caution is needed. I did like the flavor and aroma once I got over the initial shock n awe.
shocked.jpg
I think I'll put that little can on the bottom of the pile until I get my technique down a little better and stick with the larger grinds for a while.

Direwolf

It's wonderful stuff. I'm not a fan of bullets, as you found they often require snorting more than sniffing. I'm often a spooner for fancy stuff, but pinch Toques, Sam G's, etc. Toque Naturals and SPs, Spanish Gem and a few others are a bit fine until a technique is down, and even then one can sometimes surprise themselves with a fine milled medicated. For finer stuff try a dusting on the fingers, with a light sniff - that can get the juices flowing, and noisten the nose for the bigger pinch. Toque fruits don't seem to last enough for me, but their Spanish Gem and Berwick Brown (a coarser grind) are two top favorites.

greenmonster714

It's wonderful stuff. I'm not a fan of bullets, as you found they often require snorting more than sniffing. I'm often a spooner for fancy stuff, but pinch Toques, Sam G's, etc. Toque Naturals and SPs, Spanish Gem and a few others are a bit fine until a technique is down, and even then one can sometimes surprise themselves with a fine milled medicated. For finer stuff try a dusting on the fingers, with a light sniff - that can get the juices flowing, and noisten the nose for the bigger pinch. Toque fruits don't seem to last enough for me, but their Spanish Gem and Berwick Brown (a coarser grind) are two top favorites.
Thanks for the fine grind tip.

greenmonster714

Do all of the snuffs out there have a slight menthol flavor to them? Seems like every one of the toques I've tried has a little.

Is there any without menthol? I'd like to try a sweet but kinda at a lose for choices. I'd want something not as fine as the toast though.

Serenity

Burn out Bright
Patron
I don't know of an American snuff that's mentholated, and be cautioned of the sweet Americans, they are not sweet like candy or fruit just sweeter than the regular scotch offerings. All the Americans I've come across are dry and finely ground. Garrett Scotch and Sweet are in my stable, and Will continue to be, but that's my short list of non menthol, the rest of my snuffs are mentholated and my preference for all day use.

StillLearning

You know, i thought it was odd that my silver dollar coffee has a slight menthol to it. It must be a toque thing...

@Serenity knows his stuff but I must respectfully disagree about American sweet snuffs. Society in particular taste like pure sugar or cake icing to my nose. I don't really care for it for that reason. I personally enjoy navy sweet quite a bit, which is a smoky/sweet mix. Tube rose is pretty good also.

There's lots of non menthol out there in the wild. Read up on some reviews at mrsnuff or snuffhouse forums and they should give you a good idea of what to expect out of any particular brand.

Lots of different grinds to explore also. Toque is not as fine as Americans I wouldn't say, but much finer than some others I've had. Elmos reserve or Viking Thors hammer are two coarse grind non menthol snuffs that I have tried and enjoyed.

Edit: I realized I'm talking out my arse. Ive never had toque, just the one silver dollar coffee made by toque. I could be completely left field in that regard.

greenmonster714

You guys are awesome. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Maybe this thread will help some other snuff newby..lol.

So I'm jotting down these snuffs in my notepad. I'm going to hit those forums mentioned and check out Mr Snuff.
That cake icing in the nose sounds like me..lol but I'm always up for anything sweet.

One thing mentioned about the American snuff is the grind. I just had a surprise attack to the back of my sinus cavity today with that natural toast..lol. I think maybe I should stay away from that type till I figure a method that fits me.

Thanks again guys. Your enabling traits are honed to a fine edge and I like it.

greenmonster714

I don't know of an American snuff that's mentholated, and be cautioned of the sweet Americans, they are not sweet like candy or fruit just sweeter than the regular scotch offerings. All the Americans I've come across are dry and finely ground. Garrett Scotch and Sweet are in my stable, and Will continue to be, but that's my short list of non menthol, the rest of my snuffs are mentholated and my preference for all day use.
Does scotch and sweet describe one of each? I find them as one but not together. Also, I can't seem to find smaller cans of it. I don't want to drop $20+ on a big can and not like it..lol. Do ya have a link to a store that sells small cans? Thanks

greenmonster714

You know, i thought it was odd that my silver dollar coffee has a slight menthol to it. It must be a toque thing...

@Serenity knows his stuff but I must respectfully disagree about American sweet snuffs. Society in particular taste like pure sugar or cake icing to my nose. I don't really care for it for that reason. I personally enjoy navy sweet quite a bit, which is a smoky/sweet mix. Tube rose is pretty good also.

There's lots of non menthol out there in the wild. Read up on some reviews at mrsnuff or snuffhouse forums and they should give you a good idea of what to expect out of any particular brand.

Lots of different grinds to explore also. Toque is not as fine as Americans I wouldn't say, but much finer than some others I've had. Elmos reserve or Viking Thors hammer are two coarse grind non menthol snuffs that I have tried and enjoyed.

Edit: I realized I'm talking out my arse. Ive never had toque, just the one silver dollar coffee made by toque. I could be completely left field in that regard.
Signed up over at snuff house. Waiting for approval. Been shopping around for the snuff you mentioned. Can't seem to locate anything named Society. Nor can I find Navy sweet. I did find the Tube Rose, Thor's Hammer, and Elmo's Res. All at Mr Snuffs.

Fun to see that Viking name. I blend my own pipe tobacco from whole leaf. Made a nice press block of VA, Burleys, Oriental, and Perique flavored with some spiced rum a while back and named it Thors Hammer..lol.
As I get into this snuff business I plan on giving a go at some homemade snuff. I've got some good recipes from a few guys. Hell I make my own pipe tobacco and loose snus. Why not some snuff too..lol?