What's new

First tin with mold :(

Greenbriar

Well I've joined the ranks of the unlucky folks who have opened a new tin of pipe tobacco and discovered mold (C&D After Hours Flake). Fortunately it was apparent before I loaded my pipe. I'm confident in SP's customer service and foresee no problems in getting a new tin, but it is a disappointment that I won't be able to smoke it immediately. Glad I didn't buy it for aging purposes.

JAK

The one bright spot is SP replaces the tins without hesitation.

PS
I've asked before and received a freebie tin as well. 😉
That's great that they replace it but my concern is what happens when my King Cake has mold in 10 years when I crack it open. C&D may not be in business and of they are I doubt they will have an aged tin to replace it. I want to see how it is with 10 or 15 years on it. Guess I could open and jar all my C&D now.

Peeps

Well I've joined the ranks of the unlucky folks who have opened a new tin of pipe tobacco and discovered mold (C&D After Hours Flake). Fortunately it was apparent before I loaded my pipe. I'm confident in SP's customer service and foresee no problems in getting a new tin, but it is a disappointment that I won't be able to smoke it immediately. Glad I didn't buy it for aging purposes.
What was the date tag on the tin of After Hours?

Ronv69

Sales
Patron
Not that I have seen, and I think there are more people paranoidly mentioning C&D and mold together than actually reporting personal cases. Though I have not heard anyone have problems with any other blenders except macb's amphora va I think
My Penzance explodes with mold in 2 days after being transfered to a jar. It had to have been started in the tin and just waiting for air.

easterngray

The only C & D blend that I smoke and cellar is Founding Fathers and I’ve never had any problem with mold. If you haven’t tried it and you like Aros you oughta give it a try. I do find C & D blends, including FF, to be a bit “rough around the edges” generally but that blend is really unique and tasty.
PS: just realized that I also enjoy Briar Fox, another C & D blend; again, never any mold, thank goodness!

Last edited:

IMpipedude

The only C&D blends I've aged so far are Briar Fox and Bayou Morning. No mold in two Briar Fox tins aged nine years (and they were both fantastic). I haven't opened any Bayou Morning yet, but I'll cross my fingers and pop a tin soon.