Fixing Holes in Stems?

Chico

I bought this lot of Peterson Standards on ebay, and these, um, flaws weren't mentioned in the description. The seller said she was only thinking about the wooden part when she described them as very good with no flaws etc. Not a pipe smoker, I guess! Anyway, we came to an agreement and she made good - but what am I supposed to do with these? I don't suppose there's such a thing as vulcanite putty?

IMG_20191011_160906899.jpg

A close-up of the one on the left:

IMG_20191011_160736714.jpg

ShilohHollow

Anchors Aweigh
Staff member
Sales
The one with the hole in the middle of the bend I'd bet was caused by years of pipe cleaners scraping at it from the inside. That's right where pipe cleaners make a nasty scratching noise for my Peterson Systems. I think that would also be the most difficult to fix using the superglue method as there's not really a divot to fill and it'll be hard to get something inside the stem underneath it to serve as a base for the glue while still liquid to sit on.

The other 2 should be pretty straightforward. I use vulcanite powder and clear superglue.

Chico

The one with the hole in the middle of the bend I'd bet was caused by years of pipe cleaners scraping at it from the inside. That's right where pipe cleaners make a nasty scratching noise for my Peterson Systems. I think that would also be the most difficult to fix using the superglue method as there's not really a divot to fill and it'll be hard to get something inside the stem underneath it to serve as a base for the glue while still liquid to sit on.

The other 2 should be pretty straightforward. I use vulcanite powder and clear superglue.
Ah, a clever deduction. These are pretty old pipes so I bet you're right. That's the one thing I dislike about these full-bent stems - the pipe cleaner scraping.

Any difference between using super glue and the #20 that @Terminus mentioned?

Not sure it's worth sending them out for repair/replacement. Probably cost more than I paid for them.

ShilohHollow

Anchors Aweigh
Staff member
Sales
Ah, a clever deduction. These are pretty old pipes so I bet you're right. That's the one thing I dislike about these full-bent stems - the pipe cleaner scraping.

Any difference between using super glue and the #20 that @Terminus mentioned?

Not sure it's worth sending them out for repair/replacement. Probably cost more than I paid for them.
I've had better luck with clear superglue matching than black, but it could just be my preference.

ClintonvilleLeather

Sales

That is a likely explanation. The holes near the bit could possibly be remedied with a softy if having professional repair work isnt currently in the budget.

Riff Raff

Those holes are pretty common for Peterson or similar style pipe stems - years of the wire cleaner going thru that bend creates the hole.
You can create a plug with superglue/vulcanite dust, then sand smooth. I've had trouble getting the patch to stay no the hole right on the curve. The holes at the button would be more durable.
Any super-glue patch like that won't take a lot of clenching abuse, so smoke carefully once repaired.