• Please read the rules before posting or replying here -- no banter, no off-topic replies please. Link to the rules: Old Codger Rules.

Fluid in bottom of bowl....

Andy

I can't seem to figure out what i'm doing wrong. Most of my tobacco is aromatic but not all and no matter what I smoke or how I pack it I get what amounts to several drops of fluid in the bottom of my bowl and a quarter bowl of soggy tobacco. I've tried packing looser/tighter, puffing slower/faster, drying the tobacco out....nothing seems to help. I just end up with a pile of goop every time, I could use a blowtorch to try to light the last ¼ of my bowl and it wouldn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions? It's getting frustrating throwing out ¼ of my tobacco every time I smoke.

Andy

Sparks

I think most aromatics or at least the ones considered “goopy” run into this problem. They’re covered in PG flavoring that refuses to dry and causes moisture in the bottom of the bowl.

What blends are you finding cause you the most trouble? That might be able to help someone with more experience narrow it down for you.

CharringLight

Patron
Are you fairly new to pipe smoking? It's not uncommon for new smokers to salivate a lot which can run down into the bowl. If you find that is the case, you may find relief by holding the pipe in your hand while smoking instead of clinching.

Peterson makes system pipes that helps to collect moisture in a reservoir. There are also mesh (wire) balls that you can drop into the bottom of the bowl before packing in the tobacco. I don't know anyone who uses them, but it's an option. As mentioned, I find running a pipe cleaning through the pipe while smoking helps a lot.

Mikewood

I really enjoy a tobacco called Queen Anne’s Revenge. It’s very goopy. It has taught me that it’s different than my English blends. I expect an English to smoke down to a fine white ash because that’s it’s nature. QAR goes goopy and that’s also it’s nature. Consider a pipe of that tobacco is satisfying because of the overall experience and not the final result. Consider also you might be done at that point so why continue? Having tobacco left over is ok. Goop is not an indi car crashing at the finish line. It’s cleaning a monster truck after a mud rally. Enjoy it for what it is.

Andy

Can you easily pass a pipe cleaner through the stem (removed from pipe) and from the shank to the heel (bottom of bowl).
A pipe cleaner will, but does not pass easily all. the way through while assembled, disassembled, yes no problem

Do you have several pipes to rotate? They may need to dry out some. Might want to try a couple half bowls to help dry out the cake at the bottom of the pipe.
Just two at the moment, but I'll have two more after this weekend

Wet smokes aren’t fun, have you tried drying out your tobacco before packing? If they are goopy wet to begin with drying might not work FYI. If just moist then leave them out for 30 minutes to a day and see if that helps.
Yes, I have tried drying them out. I even put some in the toaster oven.

leacha

░░░░░
Patron
Okay it sounds like your passages are clear. The space between the tenon and mortise could be holding liquid and as you tip the pipe it runs down the air passage and goes into the bowl. I'll assume your not keeping it in your mouth filling with saliva. 😉

Take some morning blend and dry it out overnight. Sprinkle it into the pipe without crushing it. After it's ½ full, tap the side of your bowl with your knuckle to help settle and repeat the fill and taps until it will not settle and is full. Lightly pack with your finger or tool to about the ½ mark. Fill and tap again until full. Pack again. Sprinkle loose smaller bits on top. Light with 5 or 6 light draws (false/char). Tap down. Light again with longer draws. Tap down. Light again (true) and smoke (sipping not sucking), tapping lightly just to break the ash.

See how that works.

leacha

░░░░░
Patron
Okay it sounds like your passages are clear. The space between the tenon and mortise could be holding liquid and as you tip the pipe it runs down the air passage and goes into the bowl. I'll assume your not keeping it in your mouth filling with saliva. 😉

Take some morning blend and dry it out overnight. Sprinkle it into the pipe without crushing it. After it's ½ full, tap the side of your bowl with your knuckle to help settle and repeat the fill and taps until it will not settle and is full. Lightly pack with your finger or tool to about the ½ mark. Fill and tap again until full. Pack again. Sprinkle loose smaller bits on top. Light with 5 or 6 light draws (false/char). Tap down. Light again with longer draws. Tap down. Light again (true) and smoke (sipping not sucking), tapping lightly just to break the ash.

See how that works.
I just followed my own advice. I smoked outside with a strong wind, puffed like matches860, had alot of relights until the half way point, pipe was hot, burned down to ash with little moisture.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
I'll go mystical here: smoking a pipe is balancing the heat of combustion against the products of combustion. When you burn tobacco, H2O and CO2 are by products. If you start with wetter tobacco there's more moisture around in the first place, but there's moisture being formed by burning. It needs to go somewhere. Some of it comes up the stem in the smoke, hopefully with a bunch of oils and esters and sugars and stuff - the molecules we perceive as flavor. Some of the moisture we want to sort of boil off though, and that happens because the pipe is fairly hot inside, even a cool burn is... a burn. So with tobacco on the dry side rather than the wet side, and maybe tobacco with fewer humectants and flavors, we should be able to get the pipe going, get it warm so it's boiling out some water, but not be burning so fast that the water and other products of combustion are overwhelming the system, put it that way. There are some blends that I don't think ANYone can smoke without a big wet dottle at the end, just because of how they are processed. But stuff like Early Morning Pipe, that should burn pretty easy, not too hot, and to completion, without too much effort. The trouble with smoking a pipe is that the harder you try, the worse it works, because you tip that equation over to the "hot/wet" side pretty easy.

Pedro

You could try a falcon pipe!
The humidity of the combustion is retained under the tobacco (in the metal base or “humidome”) and therefore you can smoke all the tobacco!
They are not expensive and in my opinion are the best smokers ...
Since I started to smoke in them almost exclusively I enjoy more the tobacco and I forget about the variable "pipe".

If you don't like his appearance we are in trouble 🤣.

leacha

░░░░░
Patron
To add on @Sasquatch mystical point. You'll eventually start doing everything by instinct and feel. From packing, lighting to drawing in the smoke. It'll become natural. Just relax and don't over think it. Pretty soon you'll sit down to a smoke and you'll have the best smoke you've ever had. You'll experience flavors you never tasted, the pipe will be cool, you won't roast your mouth and you'll have the fewest relights you've ever done and you'll try to figure out what you did. The next smoke you'll over think it and be back to square one. Just relax.

IMO @Pedro is correct about the Falcon but do not rush out and get one. Your Savinelli will give you a good smoke once the basics are down.

I'll go mystical here: smoking a pipe is balancing the heat of combustion against the products of combustion. When you burn tobacco, H2O and CO2 are by products. If you start with wetter tobacco there's more moisture around in the first place, but there's moisture being formed by burning. It needs to go somewhere. Some of it comes up the stem in the smoke, hopefully with a bunch of oils and esters and sugars and stuff - the molecules we perceive as flavor. Some of the moisture we want to sort of boil off though, and that happens because the pipe is fairly hot inside, even a cool burn is... a burn. So with tobacco on the dry side rather than the wet side, and maybe tobacco with fewer humectants and flavors, we should be able to get the pipe going, get it warm so it's boiling out some water, but not be burning so fast that the water and other products of combustion are overwhelming the system, put it that way. There are some blends that I don't think ANYone can smoke without a big wet dottle at the end, just because of how they are processed. But stuff like Early Morning Pipe, that should burn pretty easy, not too hot, and to completion, without too much effort. The trouble with smoking a pipe is that the harder you try, the worse it works, because you tip that equation over to the "hot/wet" side pretty easy.
I have two kaywoodies that demand that you smoke very slowly or they get goopy.