Forensics of Failure

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
This makes me strangely happy. I fished the other half out of the trash can and routed a hole between the airway and the chamber. As we speak the two halves are clamped together under extreme pressure with the best wood epoxy between them.

I will have to re-drill the mortise for the stem and the chamber because the kerf of the saw has made them un-round. It will also probably have to be carved as a sitter as both the chamber and the airway extend very close to the bottom. I may have to add material to the bottom of the pipe but I have seen that done (for aesthetic, not functional, purposes.)

A fluffy pipe cleaner will not pass into the chamber. That is for sure.
Franken-Pipe is born!!!!

N80

Meetings: None of us is a dumb as all of us.
Sales
Halves are glued together. Thin strip of briar glued to the bottom with grain aligned with stummel. Not sure why since I’m sure I’ll rusticate it. Down at my cabin through the weekend so no work on it until next week.

I have no idea why the text above is in bold font.

N80

Meetings: None of us is a dumb as all of us.
Sales
Yep, made from two halves so that internals can be polished and shaped for superior air flow. Special bottom cap to keep bottom of pipe cool.

Here's where I'm at. Rough shaping. You can see the little bottom cap and the lines between the two halves. Wife is worried that I'm going to poison myself with the epoxy residue. I might. Anyway, got the chamber and stem mortise back to full round. Mortise nicely accepts a larger-than-typical delrin tenon. The shape is bound to be a little off because of the bottom cap but once rusticated I think a decent little shop pipe is in the making. And I have great life insurance so she's not really all that concerned.

IMG_2020.jpg IMG_2021.jpg