"Forever Stems" Available through Vermont Freehand

SmokeRings

Patron
This indeed is great news. I know many will balk at spending $18 to put a stem on a $12 cob. But trust me, oh so worth it. And you can use one stem and rotate cob to cob. I'd be all over this if I hadn't done my own thing.
Anybody who complains too much about it probably should smoke a $30 all in cob and a $100 briar back to back and see if that doesn't modify those feelings, $30 is a fabulous price for a great pipe.

This really is excellent news, I had died a little on the inside when I heard the Walker stems were going the way of the dodo.

Hugo Drax

Was going by this old man memory. But I wouldn't be surprised if hard bottoms aren't close to that.
You know, I hadn't thought of that. Used to have a bulldog with a hard bottom that I think I paid 9 bucks for like 15 years ago. I'll bet they are that expensive now.

I'm a Country Gentleman kind of guy so I'm out of the loop.

But the forever stem was a gift!

sfduke

Sales
It seems to me that the forever stem folks got their stems from Vermont Freehand and then machined then down to fit the cobs. Same shapes and colours, same materials.
Agreed, but will add to this. Think Dave at WBW originally sourced his materials from Pipe Makers Emporium. PME was acquired by Steve at VF so makes sense for him to continue the Forever Stems.

Providing cut tenons on stems was something Steve provided as a service before he started selling the tenon cutting tools. Glad to at least see someone continue offering Forever Stems.

Ozark Wizard

Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
Agreed, but will add to this. Think Dave at WBW originally sourced his materials from Pipe Makers Emporium. PME was acquired by Steve at VF so makes sense for him to continue the Forever Stems.

Providing cut tenons on stems was something Steve provided as a service before he started selling the tenon cutting tools. Glad to at least see someone continue offering Forever Stems.
That's logical. Yah, I ended up buying a ten on tool from him eventually, as I was having issues hand filing things perfectly flush with consistent radii.

JustScott

That is why I use a tapered tenon for my homemade stem replacements for cobs :)
Actually, a slight taper would be better, as not all cob stem apertures are created equal....
Absolutely this. If I didn't taper them, they would only fit one or two cobs. Even the stock stems are tight in some and very loose in others. I taper until it fits, then carefully try to widen the area where it's making contact to be sure there's enough friction. Honestly, not very much work at all, I was surprised how easy it was.