French pipes

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's just something about Italian pipes that trip my trigger, and I'll admit its rare that a German, Danish or French pipe does. German are too proud of their pipes for my taste generally. With the French pipes when I see one that might work, and this is silly but, when I see its $35 I generally walk away. I did own a couple of Jobey Strombolis at one Tom, but didn't know they were French. They're long gone
Italian pipes have their own very different school of design.

It surprises me somewhat that there are not more fans of jointly French AND English pipes, since so much of the design sensibility and history are shared

PappyJoe

Senior Chief
Patron
I grabbed my one Canadian shaped pipe off the rack today and noticed that it's stamped Canadian on the top and Algerian Briar Made in France on the bottom. The only marking on the stem is a C inside a circle. I think I paid around $15 at a junktique shop for it. That being said, I haven't been able to identify the brand but it has been a good smoker.
Canadian_011619A.jpg

Attachments

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
I grabbed my one Canadian shaped pipe off the rack today and noticed that it's stamped Canadian on the top and Algerian Briar Made in France on the bottom. The only marking on the stem is a C inside a circle. I think I paid around $15 at a junktique shop for it. That being said, I haven't been able to identify the brand but it has been a good smoker.
View attachment 22220
I like that pipe. For $15 bucks I'd have bought that one too.

PappyJoe

Senior Chief
Patron
I like that pipe. For $15 bucks I'd have bought that one too.
I just wish I could figure out the maker/brand. I've researched it on pipepedia and pipephil to no avail. I'm thinking it may have been made as a basket pipe for a pipe shop. What you see in the photos was after I had removed the finish. The grain isn't perfect but I didn't find any pits or fills and its drilled closed enough that it easily passes a pipe cleaner.

blackmouth210

I just wish I could figure out the maker/brand. I've researched it on pipepedia and pipephil to no avail. I'm thinking it may have been made as a basket pipe for a pipe shop. What you see in the photos was after I had removed the finish. The grain isn't perfect but I didn't find any pits or fills and its drilled closed enough that it easily passes a pipe cleaner.
I don't know what it looked like before you put in some elbow grease. But it's a beauty now. Great find at $15.

Serenity

Burn out Bright
Being half German half Italian, I would love to understand what exactly you're trying to express with this.

don't mistake me for being offended, I'm just curious what you're referring to.
By proud I meant German pipes in my experience in the estate offerings at smokingpipes are what I consider very expensive, and generally in the hundreds of dollars price range. Its just an expression I've grown up with when something is up for sale at a price generally presumed high for a certain item is all and generally when I get the email on Thursday of the new estates available the German pipes, as a whole are substantially more expensive than the other categories of pipes, hence the German pipes are very proud of their pipes.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
By proud I meant German pipes in my experience in the estate offerings at smokingpipes are what I consider very expensive, and generally in the hundreds of dollars price range. Its just an expression I've grown up with when something is up for sale at a price generally presumed high for a certain item is all and generally when I get the email on Thursday of the new estates available the German pipes, as a whole are substantially more expensive than the other categories of pipes, hence the German pipes are very proud of their pipes.
Thank you for clarification.

I think there are pretty simple reasons for that: in Germany, pipes are ususally expensive. Through PSF and now PSD, I learned that there are corncob and
basket pipes. Something that in Germany very rarely exists at all. In any given pipe shop, you're usually offered 2-3 vauen basic pipes (€ 70+- a piece), the
rest of the "beginners pipes" they're offering is € 150.00 - 250.00. And that's a general starting price. That's why I'm looking at our artisan pipe makers
with a lot of interest: a basic pipe in a German shop is about the price of a nice PSD Artisan's rusticated...

Because of these prices, my 2nd pipe was a churchwarden commissioned to a German artisan pipe maker. It simply didn't make sense to just buy a pipe in a shop.
So german pipe smokers tend to have either expensive pipes or custom made artisan pipes (which can be expensive as well).

As far as the "death" of the french pipe industry goes, I found some interesting things on a german forum. Apparently, at some point almost all
pipe smokers in europe turned to 9mm filtered pipes. They couldn't really explain the reasons for that change, but statistics show that 95% of pipes
sold where 9mm filtered.
According to that forum, the french traditional pipe makers would stick to unfiltered pipes, because that's what they had been famous for and
they believed this to be a short lived hype rather than a lasting change in consumer preference. So by the time these artisans realized the change
was permanent, other companies had established themselves as market leaders, causing many of those french pipe makers to be forced out of business.

Now I have no evidence for those words, but it does seem plausible.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Maybe this has something to do with it?
View attachment 22337
One could be smoking their LePipe while driving their LeCar.
That car reminds me of our American AMC products.
No--it doesn't stand for American Motors Company.---The letters AMC have another meaning. When you are at a gathering, and someone points out the AMC car parked with the other cars--someone asks--who's car is that?
Thats when one looks at it--laughs, and says AMC--Ain't-My-Car.--AMC:roflmao::hahaha-024: