What's new

Fruit blends: The Good, the Bad, and the Goopy

Kraken

recently released
Forum Guide
Tonight, against my better judgement I tried the CB Grape he sent. It's very grapey. The tobacco itself wasn't too bad especially at a slow pace. But the grape flavor is pervasive. I smoked it in a cob because smoking fruit out of a vegetable seemed appropriate. It did leave an aftertaste in my mouth that I'm currently exorcising with Solani silver flake.

blackmouth210

Over the years I've tried a variety of fruit flavored pipe tobacco.
I've yet to try one I even remotely cared for.
So, I've decided fruit flavored blends are just not for me.

The one and only exception is Capt Bob's Blend.
I don't consider it a fruit blend, but some might.

The tin note smells A LOT like grape, but you don't get any grape flavor in the smoke.
It's actually a great light English latakia blend when you light up.

So, if I were voting for my favorite fruit blend, C&D Capt Bob's would have to be it.

Chico

Tonight, against my better judgement I tried the CB Grape he sent. It's very grapey. The tobacco itself wasn't too bad especially at a slow pace. But the grape flavor is pervasive. I smoked it in a cob because smoking fruit out of a vegetable seemed appropriate. It did leave an aftertaste in my mouth that I'm currently exorcising with Solani silver flake.
:hahaha-024: I still haven't tried it but will steel my nerves and make the effort soon.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
@Kraken and @Chico is DTM "Buddies" one of these blends by chance? I'd sure like to know your opinion
on that one.

I've bought a tin a while ago by recommendation and I don't really know what to do with it. (yeah I know:
it's intended for smoking). It's got a great fruity tin note, but the overall taste of it seems just weird to me.
Sour, some sweetness, but not an actual aroma of something distinguishable. To me at least.

I keep pushing myself to try it every so often, and though it's not a bad blend per se, I don't seem to
want to go back to it.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
This is one of 2 "goopers" that I occasionally come back to:

DTM 8899100.jpg

it's a mixture of black cavendish and virginia, flavored extensively with blackcurrant and some other
fruit flavors. The blackcurrant is easily detected, and basically all you'll get from this tobacco. It's
overly sweet and in my opinion more of a desert for people who rather smoke theirs than eat it.

The tobacco itself seems to be of decent quality, nothing negative noted here. It burns evenly and
without a ton of relights. Not too wet right from the tin.

If you're expecting any kind of tobacco flavor from your tobacco, this is not for you. The aroma
of the tobacco escaped me, I could not make out the slightest hint of the actual tobacco flavor.
The aftertaste lingers, and this will also ghost your pipes quite a bit. So good luck with your favorite
lat bomb after this. Makes for an interesting experience.

I'm not a guy to recommend aromatics to new pipe smokers, but if you have a friend who insists
on starting with a gooper, this is a decent choice. The threat of tongue bite isn't as prominent here
as with some overly wet tobaccos I've experienced, and the room note will not cause his environment
to immediately go crazy on him, as the room note seems to be appreciated by quite a lot of
"non smokers".

I don't really smoke aromatics, but if I feel the urge for desert, especially after a really nice dinner,
this is one of my 2 go to blends.

The other one is paul winslow "harlekin".

One thing: the blend comes in one of those "paint can" kind of tins, which means it is quite ok
for medium term storage even once opened. Yes it does lose some moisture, but that makes
the tobacco flavor make a tiny step forward. In my mind (unless too dry) this makes the blend
a little more "tobacco" and therefore more to my liking. Of course too dry means the casing
loses much of its flavor.

Baccy Bert

Early on into pipe smoking, I (like many other novices) leaned toward the sweety-deety-tooty-fruity blends. Some were horrendously acrid cherry varieties, which I didn't return to. The redeemer of cherry blends in my opinion would be GH Top Black Cherry. Quite a bit of drying required out of the tin, but worth it. Another easy going and pleasantly flavoured fruit blend is GH Sweet Peach. I would classify Erinmore Mixture as a fruit blend, given the pineapple and citrus notes. I just reviewed it here.

Ozark Wizard

So many here already mentioned I've dabbled in. Still buy Devil's Holiday, Firedance Flake, and Exotic Orange/Passion when I can. Still haven't found a peach I liked, as far as cherry my favourite was M-95 from McClelland. Gone now and I'm out. Pity......

Tried Sillems(spelling?) Black. Bleh. Lane Very Cherry. Too much cherry! Various seasonal fruity blends from Peterson and Rattray are pretty good too. Still not sure if I like the new McConnell's Code Relax.