What's new

Fruit blends: The Good, the Bad, and the Goopy

Deadfrog

Wyrd bið ful aræd.
When it comes to aros, I prefer liquor cased or vanilla/toffee kind of flavours. But for a fruit essence, Firedance Flake and Rattray's Exotic are two top smokes. The Rattray's is a fantastic summer smoke. Light and very citrusy. The Firedance has always been an autumn smoke for me. Both are quite heavily cased in their respective flavours, but neither are goopers in my opinion. The tobacco used is quite high quality, but there's no mistaking the flavours that have been added. If you're smoking around other people, you'll get a LOT of positive comments with these two as well as a quite enjoyable smoke. If you're looking for a good nic hit, the FF is the stronger of the two by quite a bit I'd say. But both will ghost a pipe like a banshee. I like a stout Latakia blend in the same pipe I smoked FF in. Some good smokey, blackberry action going on there.

Yosemite

I enjoy a rare smoke of Blood Red Moon when the mood strikes and I really like Rattray's Exotic Orange and also their Summer 2018 blend....I ended up buying a 2nd tin of that right after my first smoke of it.... I've tried several others like Lanes black raspberry and a few other bulk blend samples that just didn't do it for me but they did illustrate what "goopy" meant quite well

Kraken

recently released
Forum Guide
I've tried a few from Boswell - they're nice and well made, and I'm happy to smoke them, but for me they're a bit under-flavored. Just a hint of raspberry or whatever. Lane Dark red is my favorite cherry so far, though I still haven't tried Blood Red Moon or Top Black Cherry. Firedance Flake is a great blend - very weird, but I like it a lot. I think the brandy does wonders for highlighting the blackberry flavor. The aro aspect is totally in your face, but somehow doesn't sublimate the tobacoo flavors.

I tried Code Relax last night and was kind of underwhelmed. Given the weird list of ingredients I guess I was expecting something more full-flavored and freakish like FDF. But the flavors meld almost too well. The tonquin is more evident in the bag note, but smoking I just got a subtle unidentifiable sweet-fruitiness - not the advertised riot of rum, vanilla, tonquin, apple, grapefruit, and Benedictine!
That was my experience with code relax as well. It was just sweet and nothing else really.

Now I'm trying Boswell Bear blend in my Baki meerschaum which is cherry, caramel, and Latakia. I'm not tasting the Latakia much at all though. The caramel is what is coming through the strongest in this blend. The cherry is subtle but there. It's very smooth due to the cavendish which dominates the tobacco flavor. Not bad at all really although subtle like Chico said

Like a lot of you have mentioned I like Rattray's Exotic quite a bit and it's easily my favorite fruity aro. Their summer 2018 blend is also really good like @Yosemite mentioned. It tastes like lemon girl scout cookies to me. But I don't think I'll be stocking up on it like I did with exotic.

RedScot

Very early on in my reintroduction to the pipe, my gal picked up a pouch of Paladin Black Cherry. I have not yet been able to try another cherry blend, though I know (in principle) there are much better cherry blends out there.
Since then I've stuck mostly to liquor/dessert aros, with two notable b&m exceptions from the Country Squire:
Peach Melba (I think JFH also has a Peach Melba?) tastes like a Peach Nehi on the front end, but the burley gives it a nutty toasty warmth on the second half of the bowl. Minor goop but the flavoring is just a whisper over the last third.
Delta Honeydew is amazing and the only true aro on my desert island list. Goopy to load but not too much moisture by the end of the bowl. Lots of sweet virginia, and I'd love to know what orientals are used to give this blend the melon-like aftertaste. This stuff holds its flavor front to back, but with all the virginia it'll get hot quick.
The next cherry tobacco I intend to purchase will be GH Cherry Twist.
The Boswell Bear sounds more like my lane.
Hey, does perique count as a fruity blend? If so, can I change my answers?

Stinger4me

Back in the 70's I was a fan of Amphora Red, don't recall if that was the full aromatic. My tastes Have changed a lot since then. Way back then I enjoyed Flying Dutchman, the late 80's I bought a can of it at Paul's Pipe shop from Paul. When I popped the tin I couldn't believe I ever smoked anything like that.

JustScott

I don't really smoke many aros, but one I've enjoyed when in the mood for it was DTM's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. The honeydew flavor really comes through for me, more so than the vanilla. I could taste the bright VA more than the vanilla, but the honeydew melon was there until about the last 1/4 bowl. Nice stuff. Would definitely smoke it more if I was in an aro mood more often. I should look in the jar, I bet it's growing crystals by now...

Arkie

Very early on in my reintroduction to the pipe, my gal picked up a pouch of Paladin Black Cherry. I have not yet been able to try another cherry blend, though I know (in principle) there are much better cherry blends out there.
Don't judge all cherry mixtures based on Paladin. I can think of only 3 or 4 mixtures that are worse and I have tried about 250 different blends. I once described its flavor similar to the smell of a used urinal puck and the description went viral among the pipe smoking forums.

lowercaseG

As a general rule, I'm not a fan of aros. I do however like a few that hover at the edge of the category. I think both plumcakes are delicious, although MacB's can bite & germain's needs 8 hrs. on a paper plate before it can be smoked. Another one is royal yacht, but despite it being my favorite tobacco, I have yet to detect the"pluminess". Also, I may be crazy and feel free to disagree but I get a distinct berry flavor from And so to Bed.

JAK

I smoke aros. Just recently decided to start branching out. I've always been a chocolate and vanilla whatever fan. Mix in some rum and and I am happy. Picked up a few tobaccos with a fruity description thinking I would hate them and I was surprised. WØ Larsen 2017 I believe, Peterson Holiday any recent year, Rattray's Christmas any recent year. They are well done and not overly sweet or overwhelming. I really enjoyed the new experience.

Pipepunk

Don't judge all cherry mixtures based on Paladin. I can think of only 3 or 4 mixtures that are worse and I have tried about 250 different blends. I once described its flavor similar to the smell of a used urinal puck and the description went viral among the pipe smoking forums.
Haven't tried the new production of paled in personally but have read comments on how its improved since stg lane reworked it

RedScot

:appl:excellent summation, I think.
I love the name Paladin b/c of my old Dungeons&Dragons days. Never, though, have I ever thought, "I should mix some Cherry Ni-Quil in with my burley. Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket."
Never again.
Last night I forgot all about Royal Yacht. There's a fruit blend of a different color. Alone it's awesome, but it can liven up a blend even with just a pinch.

Ellis You

Since then I've stuck mostly to liquor/dessert aros, with two notable b&m exceptions from the Country Squire:
Peach Melba (I think JFH also has a Peach Melba?) tastes like a Peach Nehi on the front end, but the burley gives it a nutty toasty warmth on the second half of the bowl. Minor goop but the flavoring is just a whisper over the last third.
Delta Honeydew is amazing and the only true aro on my desert island list. Goopy to load but not too much moisture by the end of the bowl. Lots of sweet virginia, and I'd love to know what orientals are used to give this blend the melon-like aftertaste. This stuff holds its flavor front to back, but with all the virginia it'll get hot quick.
The next cherry tobacco I intend to purchase will be GH Cherry Twist.
The Boswell Bear sounds more like my lane.
Hey, does perique count as a fruity blend? If so, can I change my answers?
I have got to agree with the Delta Honeydew! It's my favorite from the Country Squire. I burned through my 2 oz sample faster than anything I can remember. Their Parson's Blend (berries) is ok, but Delta Honeydew is the best aromatic in Jackson.

Tsal

Jersey Jerk
When I took up the pipe it was to kick cigs so I never really started off smoking aromatics or had the urge to search them out so my experience with them is limited. I do however like cherry and my favorite is Dutch Masters Cherry Cavendish aka Sutliff's St. George's which I smoke to this day. I've really had only one favorite that I continued to smoke throughout the years and that was Stanwells Melange. If you like apricot, this blend will put a smile on your face and send you off to a contemplative state of ponderance. I haven't smoked it in years but as the holidays come around I get the hankerin for some.