Gift billiards.

Odissey

Sales
Good day everyone!
I almost finished two new pipes today. Both are made on a lathe. It remains to apply a second layer of carnauba wax to these pipes and polish the rods inside and they will be finally ready.
One of the smoking pipes is a gift one, one was made by me to order. I think that a member of the PSD community who is willing to pay money for my work has the right to be the first to name the pipe he wants from me. Although he faces a tough choice, both pipes are good enough.
The prototype of these pipes is the billiard from Dunhill in 3 sizes. Therefore, they are both like twin brothers, very similar. The difference is in the small details.
The first smoking pipe has a bowl height of 39.8 mm and a weight of 27.2 grams, the second has a bowl height of 41.6 mm and a weight of 29.2 grams.
The first has a length of 141.2 mm and a tobacco chamber 20 x 35 mm and a bowl diameter of 36.3 mm.
The second smoking pipe has a length of 139.5 mm, a tobacco chamber 20 x 35 mm and a bowl diameter of 36 mm. Both pipes have a Delrin spike. It is the only material that can replace stainless steel tubing with a 6mm spike diameter.
I don’t really like double-saddled stems, but since Dunhill has this, I repeated it.

Looking at this photo, you can appreciate the difference that the correct professional lighting gives and my amateur light.
New smoking pipes
Billiard number 1
In the photographs of the first billiard, trash got on the lens. I don't have time to take new photos. Excuse me.

Billiard number 2

I enjoyed working on a lathe. Two almost completely finished pipes in 5 days is cool. Not everything is working out the way I want it. You need a good tool, both cutting and measuring.

I look forward to your feedback.

Best regards, Odissey

Odissey

Sales
Nice finish work and I like the bowl shapes. Billiard number two is reverse canted. It is fairly standard to lean the bowl * forward * 1-2 degrees in relation to the shank. I also would make the shank and bowl diameters closer in proportion (eg, 1:2, 1:3).
I had a task from the customer to keep within 35 grams by weight. The Dunhill sampled by the customer weighed 36.5 grams. I didn't want to make the bowl smaller, so a shank was chosen to reduce weight. I also decided to try what a brass ring on a smoking pipe would look like. Looks pretty good. But we do not have for sale brass tubes with an outer diameter of 13 mm. There are brass tubes with diameters of 12, 14, 16 mm. 14 and 16 mm brass tubes, for obvious reasons, did not fit. I didn't really want to install a brass tube with a wall thickness of 1 mm either. I have nothing to bore the inner diameter with - there are no incisors. So I had to remove the meat from the top of the brass tube. Hence the diameter of 11 mm. In general, the usual set of circumstances.
The angle between the shank and the bowl corresponds to the selected original. Dunhill did not have the required 93 degrees in all measurements. There are only 90 - 91 degrees.

Odissey

Sales
Those are great looking, love your traditional pipes!
Oh yeah, great photos too.
It's just a problem with photographs. Glare from light and lack of light is a big hindrance.
My old LED spotlights gave a lot of light, but with a very low CRI (color rendering index) This index indicates how much the light source matches the spectrum of the solar lighting. My point sources had this index at 80%. At 80%, a significant part of the colors simply disappears, it becomes unrealistic to get a photo of a smoking pipe with its natural color. Therefore, lamps with a CRI greater than 95% are needed. Better to have lamps with a CRI of 98%. This is the standard for professional photography. Only Hallogen Bulbs and Good LED Lights have this CRI. Halogen is not suitable for me. they require a significant amount of light and large photo studios. And I have a room with an area of only 9 square meters. You simply cannot put halogen lamps in it.
There are quite a few LED lights on sale. But not all of them have the required CRI.
So I bought myself a small lightbox along with the light. In the description it was written that the power of the light source is 40 watts. And this light has a color rendering index of 98%. In 40 W LEDs this is a lot. These 40 watts should give the same illumination as an incandescent lamp with a power of 250-300 watts. For my small 40 x 40 x 40 cm lightbox, that's more than enough. But everything turned out to be not so simple. In my opinion, there was an inaccuracy in the description. There is 40 watts in the sense that LEDs give light equivalent in intensity to an incandescent lamp with a power of 40 watts. And this is not enough for a good photo. In addition, in order to obtain glare-free light, it must be diffused. That is, pass through a translucent fabric. When passing through the fabric, up to 50% of the light coming from its source is lost and no light remains at all.
There are so many nuances here. For example: - it is imperative to shine on the smoking pipe from the background. Without this, there will be no clear outline of the smoking pipe in the photo. This means that you need to have not one light source, but at least three. One should illuminate the object from the front, and the other two should be at the corners behind the pipe.

Andrey