good enough for a truck pipe

Yosemite

Klingon Ambassador to Terra
Patron
cheap fleabay find.... the worst was the cake....thick and hard as rock.... even inside the the stem, I've had nasty clogged stems before but this was a solid fossilized abomination that even alcohol pushed with a syringe wouldn't penetrate.... the collar isn't silver or nickel so it's never going to be particularly pretty, still needs a bit more aggressive work if I want to find whatever the metal under there was.... at least after stripping the hard finish under the hardened tobacco juice all over off the wood beneath I found it was solid and not full of fillers but pretty boring grain so dark stain it is... the stem isn't vulcanite and it had a few DEEP tooth gouges but they lifted up with heat pretty well and I didn't need to fill them, it doesn't take to bending with heat well, it picked up a little more bend with a lot of heat and some heavy force but nothing easy like a quality stem does.... a lot of sanding would make it smooth now that the pits are gone but since it's just going to be a beater pipe I'm going to leave it a bit rough... whatever that stem is made of it feels good but there's no oxidation and it's so heat resistant that I think it's the perfect supplement to the cobs that live in my pickup truck's glove box... it survived some serious abuse, my old truck should be paradise compared to it's former life

Yosemite

Klingon Ambassador to Terra
Patron
.... smokes pretty good.... more of the yellow tinge polished off the band, the bend is still pretty sad but it's smoother- I couldn't resist at least sanding it a little, and buffed wax over dark burgundy makes it slightly less ugly than me.... yup, truck pipe #3 it is....

Jhelms

I had a 50-year-old Derby Bulldog Pigskin and it was my favorite Jeep pipe. I put it in the console of my jeep and carelessly slid the door top closed a few months back and "crack" the stem of my favorite Jeep pipe was history. I am looking for a replacement stem but can't find what I am looking for. I am not a pipe maker, restorer, or anything else so I guess you can say I am challenged. I take care of my pipes and as far as I can remember, that is the only pipe I have broken in almost 53 years of smoking pipes. I hate to see it go and my search is still on.

Top Bottom