Granda's Friedlander & Co. Bulldog

Baccy Bert

For cob and Ulster
Patron
Visiting with my dear grandmother this weekend and had always heard tell of an amber stemmed ornately silvered pipe in a case that belonged to my grandfather, now at rest over twenty years.

Finally was able to have a look for myself.

From what I can find on the web, it's from Montague Alexander Friedlander, trading as Friedlander & Co. in Glasgow in the 1860s onwards. The son was also Montague Alexander so could be later.

My pictures aren't great and I dare not handle it too much, so I doubt I could make out the hallmarking but a general summation that this pipe is quite old is good enough.

Very fine detailing on the silver. Some chattering on the stem. It's amazing how such little imprints can envoke strong emotions.

Anyway, I thought this was a beauty and wanted to share.

IMG_20220115_005251~2.jpgIMG_20220115_005351~2.jpgIMG_20220115_005405~2.jpg

JamesM

Visiting with my dear grandmother this weekend and had always heard tell of an amber stemmed ornately silvered pipe in a case that belonged to my grandfather, now at rest over twenty years.

Finally was able to have a look for myself.

From what I can find on the web, it's from Montague Alexander Friedlander, trading as Friedlander & Co. in Glasgow in the 1860s onwards. The son was also Montague Alexander so could be later.

My pictures aren't great and I dare not handle it too much, so I doubt I could make out the hallmarking but a general summation that this pipe is quite old is good enough.

Very fine detailing on the silver. Some chattering on the stem. It's amazing how such little imprints can envoke strong emotions.

Anyway, I thought this was a beauty and wanted to share.

View attachment 128723View attachment 128724View attachment 128725
What a classic Bulldog. Beautiful pipe and case. Do briar pipes come with cases anymore? I've never seen one lately.

Baccy Bert

For cob and Ulster
Patron
Wow!! That’s a wonderful pipe and it has so much character. Imagine all the stories that pipe could tell. Did grandma gift it to you or is she still hanging on to it through her years?
Thanks for sharing it with us. 👍👍

I would probably make a humble request to inherit it in the future, no other pipe men or women in the family. I would need a nice glass fronted cabinet to display it in

Baccy Bert

For cob and Ulster
Patron
I don't judge either way, just curious: Would you smoke it or display it only?

I would probably find something similar on the 'bay to smoke, to get an approximate experience. Sometimes similar British pipes go up for sale. I think I would be checking it over every two puffs to check it was okay if I decided to light it up. I'd much rather look at it in the safety of a display and enjoy it that way without the worry

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
I would probably find something similar on the 'bay to smoke, to get an approximate experience. Sometimes similar British pipes go up for sale. I think I would be checking it over every two puffs to check it was okay if I decided to light it up. I'd much rather look at it in the safety of a display and enjoy it that way without the worry

Very sound thinking. It really is a beautiful piece.

Top Bottom