What's new

Great blends that are always available...

Old Dark Fired
Bayou Morning
PS Luxury Bullseye Flake
I’d say throw some age on any of the Stokkebye flakes and you’re looking at some downright good smokes. The HH line is easy to find. Pease still blends great stuff. It’s almost like desirability is inversely proportional to availability. That can’t be right though, can it? Pipe smokers are too smart for that.

Sonarman

I’d say throw some age on any of the Stokkebye flakes and you’re looking at some downright good smokes. The HH line is easy to find. Pease still blends great stuff. It’s almost like desirability is inversely proportional to availability. That can’t be right though, can it? Pipe smokers are too smart for that.
Pipe smokers are still human I suppose. To prove your point there will be a run on all the Dunhill blends when they are gone gone.

Mr Beardsley

Mac Baren is overlooked. Their Virginia Flake is good, and with a few years on it, excellent. Many of their HH Series are very good, and the roll cuts are good and age well.
Other than Sutliff and C/D, I can't think of a brand with better overall availability. That they make Capstan and the Savinelli tobaccos is probably lucky for us.

There's a million quietly excellent blends out there, the trouble is, where they used to be #17 on the list, now they ARE the list.

Peter Heinrich's stuff is good.

Solani is good.

But it's getting to the point where even weird stuff like Wessex Brown Flake is only in stock for like 2 days.
Part of that could be attributed to the fact that now people are trying wessex brown and realizing it's damn good. But I know what you're saying. I miss the days where you had to be fast to get burley slice and you could sleep on the rest of the wessex line and buy at your leisure

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
For sure, scarcity or perceived scarcity drives a certain part of the market. Part of the reason Mac Baren gets ignored is that it's so ubiquitous. If their virginia flake was hard to get, people would be crying, but it's easy to get, so people don't bother to buy any. 'Cept me.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
Peter Heinrich's stuff is good.
yes it is. I don't know about availability in the US though, since it's german made.
I'm quite hesitant to post any of my personal list here, because most of them are
local tobacco. There have just been so many great blends made by
Peter Heinrich
DTM
Motzek/ Tom Darasz
HU Tobacco

Other than my dunhills, which of course no longer have a place on this list of available blends,
I don't know any blends in my rotation that are made outside of germany.

dmkerr

Staff member
For sure, scarcity or perceived scarcity drives a certain part of the market. Part of the reason Mac Baren gets ignored is that it's so ubiquitous. If their virginia flake was hard to get, people would be crying, but it's easy to get, so people don't bother to buy any. 'Cept me.
Mac Baren doesn't get nearly the respect they deserve. I was guilty of that myself until their HH series came out. I'm not a Danish tobacco kind of guy but their HH is more "English", which is more up my alley. Plus their presentation is top notch. It's clear that they put their souls into each blend, both the tobacco and the packaging. These guys love what they do, and it shows.

I agree that the lack of scarcity is part of why Mac B's is so ignored. Whether I enjoy smoking their Danish blends or not has squat to do with their quality. They are experts at doing what they do. Hell, they may be the last blender standing just before the whole carphouse goes up in flames.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
Which Virginia Flake of theirs is that?
Literally the Virginia Flake.

mbflake.jpg

Comes in a tiny yellow (now yellow and black, actually, perhaps a warning about smoking too fast!) tin.

Not to be confused with HH Pure Virginia, nor Virginia #1. It's entirely different stuff. Fresh, it's really a bit snippy, good sharp citrus snork, but a very tasty smoke really. I find it does really well in larger pipes too, which is silly. With 3 years of age on the tin, all the sharpness goes, and it settles down into a tasty, fairly smooth, medium-bodied virginia. Honey edges for sure, it has that "Mac Baren" sort of taste to it (where things like Dunhill might move citric, and Cut Virginia Plug moves to vanilla). It's not my absolute favorite, and probably not even the best virginia flake MB makes (consider that they make both Capstans, St Bruno, and Brunello), but for sure there's room in my own rotation for this stuff. It is one peg below Dunhill Flake on the enjoyment meter for me - Dunhill Flake almost makes me knees weak for how good it tastes on light up, and this stuff doesn't quite scratch that itch quite that way. However, it's available and excellent in its own ways.

craig

great blends that are always available in my part of the world.

my personal favourites

amphora full aroma
ennerdale flake
coniston cut plug
spirit of scotland

ones I haven't tried but are held in high regard by others.

pretty much all of the gawith lines
all Germaines blends
pretty much any blend that is rare as rocking horse excrement on the American side of the Atlantic.

Mac Baren doesn't get nearly the respect they deserve. I was guilty of that myself until their HH series came out. I'm not a Danish tobacco kind of guy but their HH is more "English", which is more up my alley. Plus their presentation is top notch. It's clear that they put their souls into each blend, both the tobacco and the packaging. These guys love what they do, and it shows.

I agree that the lack of scarcity is part of why Mac B's is so ignored. Whether I enjoy smoking their Danish blends or not has squat to do with their quality. They are experts at doing what they do. Hell, they may be the last blender standing just before the whole carphouse goes up in flames.
There's no lack of scarcity for Burley Flake, still haven't found any. None in the stores and it's been out of stock online since it was released it seems.

PipeHaze

Literally the Virginia Flake.

View attachment 17448

Comes in a tiny yellow (now yellow and black, actually, perhaps a warning about smoking too fast!) tin.

Not to be confused with HH Pure Virginia, nor Virginia #1. It's entirely different stuff. Fresh, it's really a bit snippy, good sharp citrus snork, but a very tasty smoke really. I find it does really well in larger pipes too, which is silly. With 3 years of age on the tin, all the sharpness goes, and it settles down into a tasty, fairly smooth, medium-bodied virginia. Honey edges for sure, it has that "Mac Baren" sort of taste to it (where things like Dunhill might move citric, and Cut Virginia Plug moves to vanilla). It's not my absolute favorite, and probably not even the best virginia flake MB makes (consider that they make both Capstans, St Bruno, and Brunello), but for sure there's room in my own rotation for this stuff. It is one peg below Dunhill Flake on the enjoyment meter for me - Dunhill Flake almost makes me knees weak for how good it tastes on light up, and this stuff doesn't quite scratch that itch quite that way. However, it's available and excellent in its own ways.
Good info, thanks. I'll keep this one in mind. I'm on my own sort of Virginia journey, I have come to like Mac Baren.