What's new

Harken thy ear oh Meer Master

MasterJoda

So I’m a complete noob when it comes to meers. No experience at all. With all the meer pipes I’ve seen lately it’s really gotten me interested.

So here’s my question; what do you recommend when it comes to an affordable ($75-$125) meerschaum?
Brands? (Good and bad)
New? Estate?

Though I appreciate the sculpted pieces, I’m more interested in simple shaped bows. I like the lattice and other surface details, but overall bowl shape more simple.

I’ll patiently sit here at the feet of the meer masters and take in your wisdom.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
What do you recommend when it comes to an affordable ($75-$125) meerschaum?
Brands? (Good and bad)
New? Estate?.
Nothing that I can recomend in that price range.
A quality meerschaum from a reputable name (Altinok, Baki, IMP, etc.) is probably going to cost you at least $200.

You could get a Falcon stem with a meerschaum bowl for <$100, if that interests you at all.

MasterJoda

Nothing that I can recomend in that price range.
A quality meerschaum from a reputable name (Altinok, Baki, IMP, etc.) is probably going to cost you at least $200.

You could get a Falcon stem with a meerschaum bowl for <$100, if that interests you at all.
That’s part of what I needed to know. I see these 100ish ones on SP and kinda wondered about their quality.

That being said, what separates a quality meerschaum apart? Is it the meerschaum itself or the construction?

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
That’s part of what I needed to know. I see these 100ish ones on SP and kinda wondered about their quality.
As Doug said above "opinions will be all over the place." Some people buy inexpensive meerschaums and enjoy them. I am a snob; particularly about internal drilling, the mortise/tenon fit & type, and the stemwork. You might get lucky with a cheap meer, maybe. But not even high end meers meet the standards of moderately priced artisan pipes (particularly stem work).

Last edited:

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
That being said, what separates a quality meerschaum apart? Is it the meerschaum itself or the construction?
Both, but mostly the construction. A lot of the cheaper ones don't draw well and have other oddities. I don't recommend any meer less than about $200-250. And smoking quality isn't always commensurate with price. But in my experience, the highest level of meer quality smokes as well or better than anything out there.

jpberg

The Worst Thing about the Internet
Staff member
Sales
Both, but mostly the construction. A lot of the cheaper ones don't draw well and have other oddities. I don't recommend any meer less than about $200-250. And smoking quality isn't always commensurate with price. But in my experience, the highest level of meer quality smokes as well or better than anything out there.
Kerr gave me Meer purchasing lessons that I did not heed, and I ended up with a really affordable piece of crap.

Lionman

If you are in the camp of not wanting to spend $200+ like I am. I have been able to find preowned bargains for less than $25. I too like the simple shapes. I look to make sure the draft hole is placed well and that the stem is in good shape at the bit. Yes, I have to clean and tweak them, and/or make minor repairs. The effort is worth it. Out of three that I have worked, two are my favorite. The one is ok, it is just a weird shape and I only got it because I wanted to experiment with wax baths to bring out the coloring. I was hooked when I saw the magic.

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
I will be the guy in the gutter on this one. I bought a pre-owned little meer from @Wooda for $18, and the thing must be bewitched. Stays lit in my coat pocket for minutes at a time while shoveling and blowing snow. T'aint pretty in the least, but it's never done me wrong. This is my only experience with a meer, and I have little technical pipe know-how, however, especially with high quality/artisan pieces.

DGErwin11

Supreme Curmudgeon
Staff member
As Doug said above "opinions will be all over the place." Some people buy inexpensive meerschaums and enjoy them. I am a snob; particularly about internal drilling, the mortise/tenon fit & type, and the stemwork. You might get lucky with a cheap meer, maybe. But not even high end meers meet the standards of moderately priced artisan pipes (particularly stem work).
The worst, but not deal breaking, stems I smoke regularly are on my Altinok PSF2015POYs

Kiowapipe

Needs to think of a clever custom title
Patron
I've never personally smoked a really nice meer, but I've smoked a few cruddy to mediocre ones. The worst part about cheap meers is usually the crappy Teflon mortise/tenon. They really just suck, and you've got to spend close to $200 to get a new meer that uses a better connection.
Personally I think your suggested price point of $75 - $125 is probably the absolute worst range to look at for a new meer. Odds are decent you're not going to get a good smoking pipe, and you'll have spent enough money that it will bother you.
I think you'd be better off spending the money to get a good one, or failing that, then finding a couple dirt cheap ones on eBay knowing that you'll likely have to tweak and mod. If you get lucky you might find a cheapo that you like, and if you don't, you won't be that disappointed.