What's new

Hearth and Home/ Russ Oullete blends... what’s your favorite?

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
Marble Kake and Fusiliers Ration are the only two I smoke much of. Even so, I don't smoke much of those, either. I'm not sure what it is about Russ' blends... I like a lot of them and I recognize his innovation, but they haven't captured my heart. I should probably go back and retry some of the ones I enjoyed in the past. I think he's a stellar blender.

I've tried several including Blackhouse and Butternut Burley and Trout Stream, but Anniversary Kake was always a favorite. I'm a big fan of Va and the cake presentation. Years ago, the Va's were top notch and several were included to give it a great sweet variety, and the cake was great for packing. Later I decided to invest in a larger supply rather than 2ozs at a time, and the Va's seem to be downgraded in the quality and richness. I could have just got a bad batch but I got the feeling something changed about the original blend. I haven't ordered any more after I finished the larger jar.

CrazyIvan779

Marble Kake and Fusiliers Ration are the only two I smoke much of. Even so, I don't smoke much of those, either. I'm not sure what it is about Russ' blends... I like a lot of them and I recognize his innovation, but they haven't captured my heart. I should probably go back and retry some of the ones I enjoyed in the past. I think he's a stellar blender.
That's exactly how I feel. Not bad but not outstanding either.

Greenbriar

I've liked everyone I've tried. I decided within my first 1/4 bowl of Bengal slices that I didn't like it,but by the end I wanted more. Marble kake surprised the hell outta me. Once I learned how to smoke it, I got tons of flavor. It might be my favorite post McC virginia. Fusiliers ration is the easiest to smoke. I've never used any more than 2 matches to smoke a bowl. Btw, has anyone else tried the f.r. special reserve? It's a step up from the original. I like aj 's better than Louisiana red, but I've only had one bowl of each. As for a fav, I've got to go with anni kake even though it feels like a cop out.
Would be interested in your comparison of either Fusiliers R. To Bengal slices. I love fr but have not tried either the special or the Bengalb slices it was supposed to have been inspired by

sablebrush52

Patron
However did I miss this thread? That'll teach me to work all the time...

I like Anni Kake, Black House, RO Perique Series GP-11, and a couple of others. I really loved Viprati when I first bought it, but a recently opened tin did not please me at all. Oh well, tastes change and change again, so maybe I'll like it a year or two down the road. I also didn't like Firestorm. Russ' version of Bengal Slices is great, as was the pre-release WarHorse Ready Rub. I didn't find the release version quite as well balanced as the blend was changed to up the nic hit. I also quite like his take on John Cotton Mild.

lowercaseG

Would be interested in your comparison of either Fusiliers R. To Bengal slices. I love fr but have not tried either the special or the Bengalb slices it was supposed to have been inspired by
I can't speak for the old Bengal slices. But, in comparing the new vs. F.R., I would say that Bengal slices has more anise topping while fusiliers ration keeps it in the background. Also I'd say that B.S. is a little more delicate As f.r. can exhaust my palate if smoked too much. As for the special reserve, I think that might have been a one off thing by Russ because I haven't seen it since I randomly purchased some a while back. It's more dense than the original. It still crumbles like a kake but looks like a plug and I can smoke it all day without palate fatigue. The main difference though was that it was cheaper due to being sold in bulk. In conclusion, if you like f.r. But would like the background taste to be stronger, give Bengal slices a try.

Greenbriar

Anyone know if Fusilier's Ration or Bengal Slices is ever available in bulk?
so far no, though I did send a note along to P&C suggesting it. I did hear back from them basically saying "That is an interesting idea" but no promises to do it soon. However maybe if enough of us ask for it, they will get in gear. I would love to purchase one of those in bulk.