Historical Pipe Smokers Photos and Videos

KevinK

inspiration, move me brightly
I searched and couldn’t find a thread like this (except for one devoted to specific blends of famed pipe smokers) so I apologize if there is one already.

I am a sucker and huge fan of historical (recent or otherwise) photos and videos of pipe smokers. The smoker doesn’t have to be famous (though sometimes that’s more interesting). As a relatively younger guy, I love thinking about a time when it was far more common for men and women to smoke a pipe, in private and public and to display it proudly for a camera.

Please post your favorite historical photos and videos of pipe smokers!

I’ll start...

Here we have the late Justice Antonin Scalia being questioned at his confirmation hearing.

4F877D7E-ECEC-4EC8-87BA-EFC439BC4E13.jpeg

Forward to about 3:20 for the Justice enjoying his pipe.

August 1986 Justice Scalia

KevinK

inspiration, move me brightly
I've had a great love for jazz fusion drummer, Billy Cobham, for many years. And then, just recently, I found out that he was likely a pipe smoker based on this photo. Now, he's even cooler in my book. Can anyone identify the pipe and/or tobacco pouch in his pocket?

And man, can he wail on the drums.

Deadfrog

Wyrd bið ful aræd.
Honourable mention goes to Andie MacDowell, who appears to be genuinely smoking her pipe in this photo. It was rumoured that she was a closet cigarette smoker, and who knows if she enjoyed a pipe personally, but I'm including her because this is one of my favourite shots of a lady smoking a pipe.

andie.jpg