Historical Pipe Smokers Photos and Videos

JimInks

Old Ted Award Winner
He's wrong about Gerald Ford. Ford, according to his official biographer Thomas DeFrank, smoked Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. You can check it on page 11 here:
https://www.amazon.com/Write-When-Gone-Off-Record/dp/0425223485#reader_0425223485

Bing Crosby smoked Hayward Mixture, and there's a photo of him in his bio to prove it. I never believed the story that he smoked Crooner. Crooner is tough to lite up, and in any scene where Crosby lights up, he gets the char light very quickly and puffs away. Hard to do that with a cube cut blend like Crooner.

Basil Rathbone did not portray Sherlock Holmes in movies in the 1950s. He did in the late '30s and through much of the 1940s.

Hefner smoked Mixture #79 is public, but his second in command told me that Hefner mostly smoked Sail Yellow.

Edward G. Robinson also smoked Dunhill blends. Greenfield and Winther originally produced EGR. The guy didn't do his home work well.

I think the Bogart story is crap, too.

Last edited:

The Fly Guy

On the YouTube site with comments from viewers, someone else also stated that Bing Smoked Hayward Mixture.
SmokingPipes states the following with regard to Crooner.... "A specially cut, cube-style Burley and Deertongue tobacco, Cornell & Diehl's Crooner is an authentic copy of Bing Crosby's private blend, shared with C&D by one of his closest friends."
Perhaps Bing smoked more than one blend.
Other Viewers claim that Gerald Ford also liked Walnut Blend and that he also smoked "my blend" from Sidetrack Tobacco from Bristol VA.
Interesting bits of tobacco trivia.

Last edited:

gentimmy

He's wrong about Gerald Ford. Ford, according to his official biographer Thomas DeFrank, smoked Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. You can check it on page 11 here:
https://www.amazon.com/Write-When-Gone-Off-Record/dp/0425223485#reader_0425223485

Bing Crosby smoked Hayward Mixture, and there's a photo of him in his bio to prove it. I never believed the story that he smoked Crooner. Crooner is tough to lite up, and in any scene where Crosby lights up, he gets the char light very quickly and puffs away. Hard to do that with a cube cut blend like Crooner.

Basil Rathbone did not portray Sherlock Holmes in movies in the 1950s. He did in the late '30s and through much of the 1940s.

Hefner smoked Mixture #79 is public, but his second in command told me that Hefner mostly smoked Sail Yellow.

Edward G. Robinson also smoked Dunhill blends. Greenfield and Winther originally produced EGR. The guy didn't do his home work well.

I think the Bogart story is crap, too.
I’m going to get you liquored up and force you to sign with my trivia team

Really enjoy reading your stuff, both here and tobaccoreviews. appreciate the knowledge and history you’ve retained and share