Historical Pipe Smokers Photos and Videos

JimInks

Old Ted Award Winner
I came across this entirely by chance the other night after watching "The Bells of St. Mary's" on YouTube. It's an interview with Bing Crosby and of course, he's smoking a long billiard. Maybe one of you guys can figure out what kind of pipe it is. Anyhow, enjoy!

Click--> Interview with Bing Crosby (1966)
It's a Merchant Service pipe, which is mostly what Bing smoked in the post-WWII era until he stopped smoking in 1974. I had Basil Meadows make me two of them, using the accurate specs for the pipe.

basil_2018_BIng copy.jpg

Bing1 copy.jpg

Olmstead

PSD Slow Smoke Winner
It's a Merchant Service pipe, which is mostly what Bing smoked in the post-WWII era until he stopped smoking in 1974. I had Basil Meadows make me two of them, using the accurate specs for the pipe.
Your knowledge of pipes, tobacco, and pipe culture never cease to impress me Jim. Those are some real sharp pipes as well. I especially like the one with the orange-y stain, big silver band and flame grain; absolutely beautiful. Merry Christmas Jim!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fumando la pipa io brucio le mie amarezze e le mie amarezze sono molte. Perciò ho bisogno di molte pipe.
-- Sandro Pertini, Italian president, 1978-1985

"Smoking a pipe, I burn away my grudges, and my grudges are manifold. As a result, I need many pipes."

A partisan who fought against both Mussolini and the **** occupation, one of the authors of Italy's post-war constitution, a very popular Italian presient, and a life senator in Italy's upper house. And, of course, a devout pipe man.

Pertini was seldom photographed without a pipe. He was known to be a great fan of the Italian workshops, not least Castello. He passed in 1990.

pertini1.jpeg
pertini2.jpeg
pertini3.jpeg
pertini4.jpeg

Rotherdale

Pelargonium Graveolēns Et Sāpō
Patron
Charles Lightoller, Second Officer on the RMS Titanic .. with him is Herbert Pitman, Third Officer RMS Titanic - taken at the time of the UK enquiry into the sinking in May 1912 in London

Lightoller was on the ship to the end and went into the water, Pitman was placed in charge of a lifeboat before the ship went down

These two were the senior surviving officers of the disaster

MakDragon

Optimistic Curmudgeon
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
Charles Lightoller, Second Officer on the RMS Titanic .. with him is Herbert Pitman, Third Officer RMS Titanic - taken at the time of the UK enquiry into the sinking in May 1912 in London

Lightoller was on the ship to the end and went into the water, Pitman was placed in charge of a lifeboat before the ship went down

These two were the senior surviving officers of the disaster

That's awesome!

Is that a Peterson Iceberg Series pipe?

I searched and couldn’t find a thread like this (except for one devoted to specific blends of famed pipe smokers) so I apologize if there is one already.

I am a sucker and huge fan of historical (recent or otherwise) photos and videos of pipe smokers. The smoker doesn’t have to be famous (though sometimes that’s more interesting). As a relatively younger guy, I love thinking about a time when it was far more common for men and women to smoke a pipe, in private and public and to display it proudly for a camera.

Please post your favorite historical photos and videos of pipe smokers!
Love this idea! Well done @KevinK !