Holy Carp these eBay bids are getting crazy.

SwampWeed

Black Twist & Black Beer
Patron
Sales
I bid on government surplus sometimes and those auctions don’t end. If a bid comes in at the last second (a”snipe”) the auction extends by two minutes. Every bid after does this. It’s way more fair for those who don’t have a bidding bot or a blazingly fast internet connection

eBay should really do this. These prices would potentially be higher, but it also gives a buyer a minute of reality check.

Dragonmaster

I love Kaywoodie All Briar pipes but really? That’s a serious chunk of change!View attachment 167611

I've known Todd (Deadmanspipes), and bought pipes from him for several years. I can truthfully say that he is likely the most honest and reputable seller on Ebay. If there is ever any question about a pipe, he will either refund your money immediately, and without question, or see that a repair is made to your satisfaction. He 100% is an old school gentleman.

These amazing prices realized are coming from buyers in Asia, mostly wealthy Chinese, where the dollars run freely.... As they have in, in the past few years, they are buying things that are difficult to find in their own country, and are willing to pay the price for them. We used to call this "supply and demand".

Last edited:

Dragonmaster

Further thoughts on the recent Ebay high bids....
Sellers have absolutely no control over online bidders. More importantly, if you continue to follow the sellers next auctions, you will, in many cases see the same pipes relisted, as the buyers failed to pay for them. This is happening to many sellers.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
Further thoughts on the recent Ebay high bids....
Sellers have absolutely no control over online bidders. More importantly, if you continue to follow the sellers next auctions, you will, in many cases see the same pipes relisted, as the buyers failed to pay for them. This is happening to many sellers.

I wonder if some of those failures to pay are dirty schemes that some sellers use in order to get rid of the competition. Maybe they hope that if they make selling more time consuming or too much of a headache for their competition, those competitors will stop selling on Ebay.
That's all a little far out, I know. But very little surprises me about how people act when there's any amount of money to be made.

Russ H.

Mr. Fruity Pebbles
I too wonder about the actual buyers on some of these. Granted I realize that outside of the U.S. the market is different, but some of the final bids leave me kind of asking--why?? Is that specific pipe is of great symbolic wealth in there society--I don't know??? Some of the pipes leave me scratching my head. It also really makes me wonder why the pipe is relisted. When someone bids something up that high, and then simply refuses to pay leaves me wondering as it does others. I've always been of the mindset that if I can't pay-don't bid, but others may have concocted some type of scheme--who knows????

The Amish Tryant

My grandmother had a moving/estate sale to move into an elderly community after living in the same home for about 50 years and being a semi hoarder. Note, this was before the internet took off.

The star item was a metal Mickey Mouse train set from when my father was a child.

Bidding started at about $5 and a few small increases occurred. Then a man in the back bid $150 to clear all the parents out. Another collector and the first man got into a bidding war and none of the families knew or understood what was happening.

I forget the final price, but a collector won and knew what he was bidding on. The same holds true as to pipes and the bidding on the Peterson stayed stagnant at about $350 until closer to the deadline before the heavyweights got involved.

I just hope it was a legit bid for the buyer's sake. Who am I to judge how others spend their money so long as I'm not funding their welfare. Imagine that, a homeless man living beneath the city aqueduct with the nicest pipe in the world to smoke his Largo in while playing with a vintage Mickey Mouse train.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
The unique factor in things is that folks collect all kinds of things. What one person looks at and sees no value at all another man sees a great treasure.

That is spot on.

I know a woman who collects thimbles, another who collects spoons, and a third who collects all kinds of small decorative bells.
I also know of a man who collects beer bottle caps and another who collects matchbooks/matchboxes.

None of these people have monetarily valuable items in their collections. But the value they place on their pieces is probably astronomical.

Russ H.

Mr. Fruity Pebbles
That is spot on.

I know a woman who collects thimbles, another who collects spoons, and a third who collects all kinds of small decorative bells.
I also know of a man who collects beer bottle caps and another who collects matchbooks/matchboxes.

None of these people have monetarily valuable items in their collections. But the value they place on their pieces is probably astronomical.
Exactly. All that matters is that it matters to the collector. Those items bring great joy to them.

N80

If you can't question it, it isn't science.
Sales
Exactly. All that matters is that it matters to the collector. Those items bring great joy to them.
Sometimes its the hunt that brings them joy too.

Most of my pipe smoking life consisted of a few basket pipes, a couple of hand-me-down Grabos and one tobacco blend. I rarely went into a pipe shop and had no notion whatsoever of pipe collecting. Five years ago the idea of a $100 pipe was perplexing to me. Now I am aware of, admire and relish $2000 handmade pipes like Geigers and Eltangs. Granted, I'll never own one, but I get it. All of this is to say, as others have, its all a matter of perspective.

I remember talking to a realtor in Charleston, SC about the mansions on The Battery there that are sold for millions of dollars and contain individual pieces of furniture worth more than my house. She said quite a few of these mansions are second or third or fourth homes that the owners rarely visit. There is rich. And then there is rich.

I don't begrudge any of it.

PipeIT

Nice to see I’m not the only one ranting! LOL 😆

I was going off over this at PipesMagazine a few weeks back.

As a PC geek, when you’ve read all the BS about this company, since the beginning, I don’t support them. I have to much PC Geek pride, it’s a matter of principle, so I don’t buy anything off of eBay, to me they’re FleaBay! LOL 😆

3BD3C8C6-64CD-44EC-AD48-764D3A467197.jpeg

BradNTx

I too wonder about the actual buyers on some of these. Granted I realize that outside of the U.S. the market is different, but some of the final bids leave me kind of asking--why?? Is that specific pipe is of great symbolic wealth in there society--I don't know??? Some of the pipes leave me scratching my head. It also really makes me wonder why the pipe is relisted. When someone bids something up that high, and then simply refuses to pay leaves me wondering as it does others. I've always been of the mindset that if I can't pay-don't bid, but others may have concocted some type of scheme--who knows????
I worked in the auto auction industry for over 20 years, and all over the country. There are many games played by both buyers and sellers. Sellers may have an auctioneer bid against “the Coke machine”, as in taking a fake bid to drive up the price. It’s even easier for online auctions, as the seller only needs a friend, relative or employee to have an account and cast phony bids to drive up the price. The risk falls when the phony bid ends up being too greedy and wins the sale. Buyers have just as many unethical tactics intending to intimidate or drive off competition. It’s a shame there are people who act this way, but like blackmouth said, when money is involved it’s not surprising.

N80

If you can't question it, it isn't science.
Sales
I don’t like eBay. But, I have no sympathy for people who pay ridiculous prices for stuff. Each person knows what he’s bidding. If you get burned it is only your fault.

I have watched auctions for photo gear where people consistently pay new or near new prices for used gear. I have no sympathy for people who don’t do their homework or who get caught up in bidding wars.

On the other hand, if someone wants to pay $100 for a 6 year old hamburger and is happy with his purchase that’s fine with me.

Top Bottom