What's new

Home tobacco press

Mr Beardsley

Okay....I made a quick video on the way to tell if a Tobacco is too moist to press. You can see it here
Thank you for the video and all of the advice given so far. If I wanted to infuse something non-alcoholic into a tobacco (like coffee for example) would I try to do it as you described for booze? Tupperware with tobacco and a dish with whole bean or ground in it? Or would I be better off dipping into my stash of food grade flavoring and a spray bottle?

Condor

This thread has talked me into buying a press as well, when I followed the link and ordered mine all went as normal. When I got the tracking email I checked it, it's being tracked on it's way through China. I bet someone at Amazon is wondering what the heck.🤔
I am bet someone is thinking this is a drug contraption .... no one will think Tobacco press.

I want to thank every one of you for this thread. This has been pure gold.

So found 515-RC-1 Red Virginia and healthy dose of perique I jarred up some 5-6 months ago. After sitting for a week it was pretty bland. Not anymore. The perique has spice it up considerably. Amazing what a little age can do.

Ordered a noodle press and decided to blend in some 507-S Stoved Virginia and make a 50g cake. We shall see how it turns out after a week.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VPqoEK9FWAimY1zP9

Ernie Q

Sales
Thank you for the video and all of the advice given so far. If I wanted to infuse something non-alcoholic into a tobacco (like coffee for example) would I try to do it as you described for booze? Tupperware with tobacco and a dish with whole bean or ground in it? Or would I be better off dipping into my stash of food grade flavoring and a spray bottle?
I've never used coffee for an infusion but food grade flavoring is not great for tobacco...it flashes off pretty fast and contains too much alcohol. In the trade, we use industrial strength natural and artificial flavorings...get a drop on you and you smell like coffee for days. Here's what I would do if I were to make a coffee blend : If you are looking for a coffee pouch and top note then, yes, just grind some beand and put them in glass in a sealed container with your tobacco for a week.
There's also coffee Liqueur, and being liquid it would assimilate into the tobacco much better than the aromatic compounds from grinds.
If you want to "steer" the blend's flavor profile towards coffee and then give an extra punch of aroma I'd do the following:

1:1 plain table sugar to water (by weight) in a saucepan. Add about a half a cup of finely ground coffee and a tablespoon of white vinegar. Bring it just to a boil and turn off the heat.

Cool and let the grounds settle. Pour off the liquid from the grounds into a container...you do NOT want ground coffee in your blend.

Heat up your base blend (If you are gonna use any perique, Latakia or Fire Cured...add that AFTER casing.) in the microwave as I've described before. Heat up about 1 oz of the colution per pound of tobacco and heat that up to just short of hot. Spray the tobacco a few times. Mix it. Spray a few more times. Mix it etc... Seal it and let it rest in a closed container for at least 72 hours. Dry it down testing it's moisture content as I did in the video. NOW seal it uo again with a shot glass of coffee grounds and leave it for a week. Press it and give it a taste.

Coffee is an acidic substance and has been traditionally used for years by cigarmakers to homogenize and take the edge off their leaf. It's a solution called "Bethune" that they make. All cigarmakers use it and not one of them will admit to it.

E

Ozark Wizard

I want to thank every one of you for this thread. This has been pure gold.

So found 515-RC-1 Red Virginia and healthy dose of perique I jarred up some 5-6 months ago. After sitting for a week it was pretty bland. Not anymore. The perique has spice it up considerably. Amazing what a little age can do.

Ordered a noodle press and decided to blend in some 507-S Stoved Virginia and make a 50g cake. We shall see how it turns out after a week.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VPqoEK9FWAimY1zP9
Hey, I know you!;) welcome!

Mr Beardsley

I've never used coffee for an infusion but food grade flavoring is not great for tobacco...it flashes off pretty fast and contains too much alcohol. In the trade, we use industrial strength natural and artificial flavorings...get a drop on you and you smell like coffee for days. Here's what I would do if I were to make a coffee blend : If you are looking for a coffee pouch and top note then, yes, just grind some beand and put them in glass in a sealed container with your tobacco for a week.
There's also coffee Liqueur, and being liquid it would assimilate into the tobacco much better than the aromatic compounds from grinds.
If you want to "steer" the blend's flavor profile towards coffee and then give an extra punch of aroma I'd do the following:

1:1 plain table sugar to water (by weight) in a saucepan. Add about a half a cup of finely ground coffee and a tablespoon of white vinegar. Bring it just to a boil and turn off the heat.

Cool and let the grounds settle. Pour off the liquid from the grounds into a container...you do NOT want ground coffee in your blend.

Heat up your base blend (If you are gonna use any perique, Latakia or Fire Cured...add that AFTER casing.) in the microwave as I've described before. Heat up about 1 oz of the colution per pound of tobacco and heat that up to just short of hot. Spray the tobacco a few times. Mix it. Spray a few more times. Mix it etc... Seal it and let it rest in a closed container for at least 72 hours. Dry it down testing it's moisture content as I did in the video. NOW seal it uo again with a shot glass of coffee grounds and leave it for a week. Press it and give it a taste.

Coffee is an acidic substance and has been traditionally used for years by cigarmakers to homogenize and take the edge off their leaf. It's a solution called "Bethune" that they make. All cigarmakers use it and not one of them will admit to it.

E
Amazing advice as usual, thank you. The flavoring I was referring to is suspended in PG and contains no alcohol but that's neither here nor there now. Coffee liqueur is something that never came to mind

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
Request: if anybody has an unloaded press, would you kindly measure the length of the plunger? I meant to do that last time but forgot... If I knew how long the plunger was I could guess how big the puck is going to be.
While the press is loaded, measure from the bottom of the nut that connects the handle to the top of the plastic, then subtract 1/4”. That will give you The height of the plug inside to within 1/16”.

Ernie Q

Sales
Amazing advice as usual, thank you. The flavoring I was referring to is suspended in PG and contains no alcohol but that's neither here nor there now. Coffee liqueur is something that never came to mind
If it's PG based and strong enough, then it should be fine. Just go easy on PG...it can actually seal too much moisture into a blend....and make it very hard to dry down. Wherever possible I like to use inverted sugar (ie: Karo Syrup, Simple syrup etc...) as a carrier.

E.