What's new

Home tobacco press

kxg

Press #3: 80g 75% Newminster Superior Round Slices; 25% D&R Picayune. Heated & pressed for four days.
The Picayune was dry out of the bag; next time I use this, I’ll hydrate it some prior to mixing and heating. The puck is dense and adhering but mostly crumbles when sliced.
This smokes as a very spicy VaBur. It might benefit from slicing and hydrating a bit prior to smoking, but it is not unpleasant at all as is.
20190414_180922.jpg

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
With my first whole leaf experiment, I just kinda scrunched wads of leaf in there. I wonder how the results will differ using nicely cut circles like that.
I am wondering the same thing. If you layer this, wouldn't it be more likely to come apart in layers after pressing
as well? I know most plugs are layered, but of course the pressure applied there should be much greater and the
time it's pressed for should be much longer than what we've been doing here. On the other hand, It might help
the complexity of the blend.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
I've just opened my latest one:
10% Cuban Cigar Leaf
20% Motzek Highland Balls Mixture
20% Motzek Blending Oriental
20% Motzek Cyprian Latakia
30% Sweet Black Cavendish
I sprinkeled some rum on top
left it in the press for a week.
It‘s pretty dense. I hope this time it’s going to stay that way. Rum Aroma in the tin is great like last time. I‘m currently airing it out and will try it in about 3-4 hours.

kxg

#4 is in the press. Nothing too exciting. Late last night I wanted to get a batch going but wasn't feeling all that creative, but I did spy a jar of SPC Seattle Evening sitting there feeling a bit forlorn. It was getting toward dried out so I hydrated it some with a distilled water soaked paper towel, heated it a bit in the micro-wave and stuffed it in the Noobacco press. I think it was right at 50g, so it should be a thinner than normal puck. I'm going to have to lay in a supply of jelly jars to hold all these pucks.

Kentos

Round 7 is out, this one is 2oz Sutliff Elizabethan Match, heated in the microwave and stuffed. 3 days, 3/4” exactly, nice and oily to the touch. I’ll be firing this one up later tonight.

View attachment 29334 View attachment 29333
Could you let us know if it expands at all? While not a big deal, it bugs me mildly that my plugs expand and soften. I’m hoping the pre-heat is key.

PipeHaze

This will be my contribution. I really want to work on a few VaPer Plugs/Cakes and I have the tobaccos for them but do not have the time tonight to weigh things out and think about a blend. So for practice, I just dumped in a pouch of Super Value English to get something started for a week. I like the stuff I figure it can't hurt to press it and see how it does.

So my question is is how hard are you guys cranking this down to start with?...until you can't turn it anymore?

Attachments

tipofthelake

Apparently I don't like the taste of tobacco
Patron
This will be my contribution. I really want to work on a few VaPer Plugs/Cakes and I have the tobaccos for them but do not have the time tonight to weigh things out and think about a blend. So for practice, I just dumped in a pouch of Super Value English to get something started for a week. I like the stuff I figure it can't hurt to press it and see how it does.

So my question is is how hard are you guys cranking this down to start with?...until you can't turn it anymore?
14590867_1216280198393081_5077512304426221568_n.jpg