What's new

Home tobacco press

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
Could you let us know if it expands at all? While not a big deal, it bugs me mildly that my plugs expand and soften. I’m hoping the pre-heat is key.
This one came out of the press 8 days ago and has been sliced several times since. It was the first one I pre-heated in the microwave and came out at 3/4”. Right now it is exactly 13/16” high.

9A664C83-0F9A-4CD6-BD5D-D73C6CEC2B10.jpeg 9122BB55-53A1-4069-953B-EBE57F021E66.jpeg

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
This will be my contribution. I really want to work on a few VaPer Plugs/Cakes and I have the tobaccos for them but do not have the time tonight to weigh things out and think about a blend. So for practice, I just dumped in a pouch of Super Value English to get something started for a week. I like the stuff I figure it can't hurt to press it and see how it does.

So my question is is how hard are you guys cranking this down to start with?...until you can't turn it anymore?
Yep, just tighten it by hand as much as you can. After the initial press you’ll find you can tighten it further after letting it sit overnight. I’ve been tightening it once in the morning and once at night for as long as it’s pressed, even if it’s just a tiny bit.

kxg

Patron
This will be my contribution. I really want to work on a few VaPer Plugs/Cakes and I have the tobaccos for them but do not have the time tonight to weigh things out and think about a blend. So for practice, I just dumped in a pouch of Super Value English to get something started for a week. I like the stuff I figure it can't hurt to press it and see how it does.

So my question is is how hard are you guys cranking this down to start with?...until you can't turn it anymore?
Well now, that's a good question. You will know you've gone too far when something breaks. But that is, I know, less than helpful. I tighten mine until I feel things getting a bit wonky (a scientific term); something slipping or not feeling quite right. I'm pretty sure I could break the noobacco press if I gave it everything I've got, but that wouldn't be productive, so when it feels like it's approaching the edge, I quit and come back to it in 6 or eight or ten hours and give it another 1/8th or 1/4 turn. I certainly wouldn't advise getting out the cheater bar.

PipeHaze

Well now, that's a good question. You will know you've gone too far when something breaks. But that is, I know, less than helpful. I tighten mine until I feel things getting a bit wonky (a scientific term); something slipping or not feeling quite right. I'm pretty sure I could break the noobacco press if I gave it everything I've got, but that wouldn't be productive, so when it feels like it's approaching the edge, I quit and come back to it in 6 or eight or ten hours and give it another 1/8th or 1/4 turn. I certainly wouldn't advise getting out the cheater bar.
Completely understand. I agree, I'm sure I can find it's limits, but not going to. I cranked it down until it was good and solid and will follow up every day. Thank you, looking forward to it.

Mr Beardsley

Don't think I ever listed what The Bastard contains. It started life as chocolate manhood but I spilled that all over my floor. After some cleanup and swearing I started over and it is:
0.8oz c&d green river vanilla
0.8oz bca
0.8oz latakia
0.2oz granulated perique
0.1oz dfk (chopped up small like the perique)

Don't think I ever listed what The Bastard contains. It started life as chocolate manhood but I spilled that all over my floor. After some cleanup and swearing I started over and it is:
0.8oz c&d green river vanilla
0.8oz bca
0.8oz latakia
0.2oz granulated perique
0.1oz dfk (chopped up small like the perique)
You spilled... chocolate manhood... all over your floor? I’m laughing immaturely right now.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
I ordered another press last night, my plan is to dedicate one of them to Elizabethan Match plugs and use the other to play around. 3lb of tobac at 2oz each comes to 24 plugs, meaning two flats of 4oz jelly jars that fit the plugs perfectly. Total investment: $126 and 90 days time.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
I ordered another press last night, my plan is to dedicate one of them to Elizabethan Match plugs and use the other to play around. 3lb of tobac at 2oz each comes to 24 plugs, meaning two flats of 4oz jelly jars that fit the plugs perfectly. Total investment: $126 and 90 days time.
I was wondering how long it was going to take until someone went overboard with this. I don't think you're
quite there yet but you're on the right track. keep it up!

Well............here's my first plug using the pasta press.
After attempting 3 or 4 plugs over the years using 2 ill fitting tobacco tins and G-clamps I must say I am very impressed!

35g of Amphora original
1/3 of a Toscano Antico
2 Pinches of C&D Granulated Perique

The aim of pressing was that I like Amphora Original.....but it's what defined the "all day smoke" for me. I only smoke 1 bowl a day and like strong tasting blends (Rip the original OJK.) So I wanted something similar ...but boosted a little (....a lot)

I really like the taste of this plug, more intense and creamy. Quite difficult to slice, which shows a good press, although it will probably expand and decompress a little with time.
The initial quarter of the bowl was a little too spicy (although I do love Perique)....so I will cut the perique in half for the next batch.

Very pleased IMG_20190415_121022974[1].jpg

blackmouth210

After attempting 3 or 4 plugs over the years using 2 ill fitting tobacco tins and G-clamps I must say I am very impressed!

35g of Amphora original
1/3 of a Toscano Antico

The aim of pressing was that I like Amphora Original.....but it's what defined the "all day smoke" for me. I only smoke 1 bowl a day and like strong tasting blends (Rip the original OJK.) So I wanted something similar ...but boosted a little (....a lot)

I really like the taste of this plug, more intense and creamy. Quite difficult to slice, which shows a good press, although it will probably expand and decompress a little with time.
The initial quarter of the bowl was a little too spicy (although I do love Perique)....so I will cut the perique in half for the next batch.

Very pleased View attachment 29477
I like the size of that puck.
Seems like you were under 2oz total.
I wonder if the skinnier puck will result in less expansion.
That it's difficult to slice is a good sign, I hope.
Please let us know if there's any expansion.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron

35g of Amphora original
1/3 of a Toscano Antico

Very pleased View attachment 29477

Looks great! If you do have any expansion issues I've found that microwaving the tobac to heat it up immediately before loading the press makes a big difference- the two plugs I've done with this method have been more dense and kept their "pack" much better than the ones I made without heat. I suspect the heat also helps the flavors meld better. I've been doing 2oz batches, heated 20 seconds in the microwave, mixed up, then heated again for 15 seconds more. It's hot and steaming a little as I jam it into the press but obviously not too hot to touch since I'm just using my hands.

cajunrph

Figuring out life, one puff at a time.
Patron
Just finished reading the thread. My Noobacco press came in about a week ago. I'm going to get look and see what I have and make press something. This is a top 10 thread I'd think. And the insight from @Ernie Q is invaluable. Now I'll give it a whirl. I have a pound of Bald Headed Teacher. Maybe some Rum and have a drunken teacher. Haha.