What's new

Home tobacco press

Yeah you are messing with alot more pressure than I am. The biggest problem I've had so far has been getting the tobacco out of the press after smashing it. I made the blocks fit in the sleeve so tight that I don't think I can use wax paper or anything.
2 sheets of wax paper on top of each other should solve your problem. They won't compress, they should slide well on top of each other.
I've been thinking about the same thing because it's so hard to get that puck out of the noobacco press.

I've found out the main problem is that once the juices are pressed out of the tobacco, they will dry and make a sticky mess.
Basically, the tobacco puck is glued into the press, which is also the reason why we're all pushing those thing metal sleeves out
instead of the tobacco puck.

For those making their own molds/ presses: you could design a mold that solves the problem very easily:
a) weld a box
b) inside the box, place the following:
1 thin metal sheet on the bottom
4 thin metal sheets on the sides that are slightly taller than the welded box
now the thick metal block that will be jammed in there for pressure
this block has the same dimensions as the inside of the box, minus the
thickness of the metal sheets you have inserted.

after pressing you should be able to remove the pressed plug with the thin sheets pretty easily.
now because they are 4 sheets instead of a box, they should be easily pulled off one by one from
the plug, even when it's all glued together by the tobacco juices.

right?

I’m not sure how the Europeans make those perfect stick-of-gum slices....
I've come across a video on youtube where they show Orlik Golden Sliced production, including the cutting process.
it's basically a "multi bands" bandsaw in that video.

this is the mac baren production. they seem to use a fancy automated equivalent to your old school cutter

2 sheets of wax paper on top of each other should solve your problem. They won't compress, they should slide well on top of each other.
I've been thinking about the same thing because it's so hard to get that puck out of the noobacco press.

I've found out the main problem is that once the juices are pressed out of the tobacco, they will dry and make a sticky mess.
Basically, the tobacco puck is glued into the press, which is also the reason why we're all pushing those thing metal sleeves out

For those making their own molds/ presses: you could design a mold that solves the problem very easily:
a) weld a box

after pressing you should be able to remove the pressed plug with the thin sheets pretty easily.
now because they are 4 sheets instead of a box, they should be easily pulled off one by one from

right?
I like what your saying here. I think I can pull that off with my current press to test the theory. Currently my box ID dimensions (and so my plugs) are .75x1.75 so I have a little wiggle room to maybe end up with a plug that's 1.5"x.5
I'll see what I can knock up later this week hopefully....but soon certainly.

View attachment 31881 This is what I use. It’s a “tobacco plug cutter” from eons ago. You can get them on eBay for around 100 bucks and then sharpen the blade. If you take your time and are careful not to cut your digits off, you can get pretty thin slices.
I’ve heard of success with commercial deli-cutters meant for slicing cold cuts, but I’m not sure how the Europeans make those perfect stick-of-gum slices....
That is seriously COOL!!!

tipofthelake

Apparently I don't like the taste of tobacco
Patron

a) weld a box

right?
With a home made design there is no need for the inner sleeve, which I am assuming is a design feature intended to lower production costs.

With a home made design there is no need for the inner sleeve, which I am assuming is a design feature intended to lower production costs.
I understand. He asked for an easy way to make sure that plug will not get stuck... I think this solves the problem. May someone come up with a smarter solution? Sure. I am not an engineer.

tipofthelake

Apparently I don't like the taste of tobacco
Patron
I understand. He asked for an easy way to make sure that plug will not get stuck... I think this solves the problem. May someone come up with a smarter solution? Sure. I am not an engineer.
I wonder if heating the mold slightly right before trying to remove the puck would make the extraction process easier?

cajunrph

Figuring out life, one puff at a time.
Patron
IMG_20190516_122752.jpg

Latest one. 50/50 Sutliff 515 RC-1 and C&D Red Virginia pressed for 10 days. Because I got anxious last night when pulled it. Nuked for 20 seconds. Mixed and nuked again for 15 seconds. I was able to crank down on this one damn near daily till day 7. I chose this combo to up the nic with 515. Gonna try Elizabethan mix next. See how that goes. How long are y'all leaving it in there? @Ernie Q recommended two weeks. But I've never had the patience for that. Haha.

Ernie Q

Sales
View attachment 32072

Latest one. 50/50 Sutliff 515 RC-1 and C&D Red Virginia pressed for 10 days. Because I got anxious last night when pulled it. Nuked for 20 seconds. Mixed and nuked again for 15 seconds. I was able to crank down on this one damn near daily till day 7. I chose this combo to up the nic with 515. Gonna try Elizabethan mix next. See how that goes. How long are y'all leaving it in there? @Ernie Q recommended two weeks. But I've never had the patience for that. Haha.
Damn that thing does a nice job. The trick to see if you've applied enough pressure is to leave the puck in a loose ziplock for a few days and see if it gets soft and expands.....but again that's a matter of patience!