What's new

Home tobacco press

Greenbriar

Do you gave link for that press. I like the all the all metal parts. Should hold up
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32755338569.html

Says stainless steel, but some parts seem to be perhaps aluminum, either way, i like better than plastic. Even though everyone seems to have been successful for this long with the plastic threads, i don't trust plastic threads to last over the long term. Especially under pressure. My opinion.
Unless I'm confused about the construction, you won't even have the sleeve issue that others are having to figure out workaroudns for. The tube is one piece of metal it looks like. the handle is just around it but is not what is being cranked into or on

Hawky454

Ok, pulled the 3 plugs after a week. One plug you will see is a lot lighter than the others. This was the pipe I didn't not shake to even distributed the tobacco before pressing. To get the plugs out I held the bottom of the pipe (tobacco on bottom) and hit to top with a 1x1 without gripping the PVC. Took several hits to get the plug out.

Another thing that I noticed is the no-stick paper stains looked grayish. The steel plates were washed and soaped down prior to pressing so I can only assume some sort of reaction between the tobacco and the steel? Like to get some other presser's thoughts on that one.

If you don't need 100g cakes I would say the noodle press is the way to go. It is a lot easier and more consistent.

Anyway here are the images for the set
They came out looking really good! Thanks for sharing.

Hawky454

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32755338569.html

Says stainless steel, but some parts seem to be perhaps aluminum, either way, i like better than plastic. Even though everyone seems to have been successful for this long with the plastic threads, i don't trust plastic threads to last over the long term. Especially under pressure. My opinion.
Unless I'm confused about the construction, you won't even have the sleeve issue that others are having to figure out workaroudns for. The tube is one piece of metal it looks like. the handle is just around it but is not what is being cranked into or on
Noice! I like the look of that one! Too bad it’s not on Amazon. How much do they charge for shipping? The tube part looks identical even down to the blue coating on the handle to the presses we’ve all been buying. I wonder if that cap with plunger would thread on to the ones I have? Don’t know why it would matter now that I’m writing this out, I wish they sold replacement parts.

kxg

Patron
Noice! I like the look of that one! Too bad it’s not on Amazon. How much do they charge for shipping? The tube part looks identical even down to the blue coating on the handle to the presses we’ve all been buying. I wonder if that cap with plunger would thread on to the ones I have? Don’t know why it would matter now that I’m writing this out, I wish they sold replacement parts.
The unit I bought today was $11.72 total, including shipping (shipping was free). It is supposed to arrive in 8 - 10 days. We shall see. Note: I did have to register with AliExpress, so there is that.

Greenbriar

yup, shipping is free. mine took about two weeks to arive. slightly less i think. And like Kxg said, have to make an account with aliexpress. I actually have ordered a couple items from them and so i already had an account. account is free, and so far i have not noticed any suspicious shenanigans on my cards as a result of any orders with them. It is not my preferred store but once in a while you can find some good deals there.

Hawky454

cranked it 1/8th of a turn today. this is going to be a long week.
Tell me about it! Tomorrow I’m unloading both of my presses at 8pm (Victorian Puck or Pucked Up Victorian). It will be an 8 day press! Looking forward to loading them up and doing it all over again. It’s best if you just forget about them but forgetting is the hard part. The funny thing is, I still haven’t tried any of my finished product yet. I’m basically doing the Pucked Up Victorian to put it in the cellar and age them but I need to cut into my Kendal Dark & Haunted Bookshop Pucks.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
That sarome is absolutely great.

when I bought the tobacco, it was bone dry. It had about 7 years of age to it, and apparently (as was to be expected)
that tin you see in the picture (which is not sealed) didn't hold the moisture too well. Rehydrating didn't do it much
good either, which lead me to believe I had wasted money on this.

So when I decided to press it, I didn't expect much. Luckily, I was absolutely wrong. Somehow, the aromatisation has come back
to life. It's not overwhelming, but I get a very nice berry type flavoring now AND the tobacco itself seems to
have gotten much of its aroma back. This isn't going to become my favorite smoke, but it's now come to
where I would buy another tin once this is finished.

anyone having similar experiences with dried out tobacco?

one more thing I've noticed:
I am storing my pucks in ball jars. I forgot one standing on the table, and the sun was shining on the thing for about
2 days. What happened was that some moisture condensated on the inside of the jar. Now the part of the puck that
was in contact with the moisture on the bottom of the jar expanded very much, while the rest of the puck stayed
as dense as it was. I see this as another sign that it is mainly too much moisture that will result in expanding pucks.

I'll put some water on the puck to be able to repress it and see what happens.

unfortunately I'm not at home right now to take any pictures.

AceFour

Ok, couple of more experiments going on -

Took the 100g plug out today and vacuumed sealed it. I will probably keep it sealed until I slice it up in the next 20-30 days. I am curious if I just jar it after 30 if it will expand as much as the other plugs. Anyone have any experiences?

Next experiment is a cross between my #2 and #4 blend. Both are 515 RC-1 with perique and #2 is blended with 507S and #4 is with TS-3. The #5 blend is 515 RC-1, perique, 507S and TS-3. I have high hopes I see the best of both #2 and #4 in this #5 blend.

Took the 100g plug out today and vacuumed sealed it. I will probably keep it sealed until I slice it up in the next 20-30 days. I am curious if I just jar it after 30 if it will expand as much as the other plugs. Anyone have any experiences?

Next experiment is a cross between my #2 and #4 blend. Both are 515 RC-1 with perique and #2 is blended with 507S and #4 is with TS-3. The #5 blend is 515 RC-1, perique, 507S and TS-3. I have high hopes I see the best of both #2 and #4 in this #5 blend.
What % with your latest blend. I have those components and want to try the same.

Greenbriar

I'm only 2 days away from opening my first one! Very excited.

Yesterday I was just smoking 515-rc1 by itself, forgot how pleasing it was on it's own. Thought about making a puck of just that.

@tfdickson your instructions were very helpful. Since it seems like this noodle press method is going to be an ongoing thing I wonder if someone should modify it and make it into a sticky so people just catching up like me and @Cappadoc and those in the future don't have to sift through the whole thread as delightful as that may be

tfdickson

Sales
Patron

My next one will be similar to your number 5 but with 5% each of perique and turkish. I'm thinking 50% 515 and 20% each of TS3 and 507S.