Home tobacco press

AceFour

Had to look it up. #5 blend is:
  • 13% 507S
  • 13% TS-3
  • 42% 515 RC-1
  • 32% Perique (about 6 years old, pungent but not super spicy)
Pulled the #5 blend out now, sliced it up and smoking it now. First impression is a winner. I'll update later but it seems I have found the winner. Probably won't tweak this blend until the perique runs out then it will be back to the starting blocks to find the right balance of perique with a new source.

[IMG size=40%]
So I decided to open up my traveldor and found samples from the TAPS show I got from Lane's and decided to make a suicide puck. In the press now.

• Dark Red 5g
  • B&B 20g
  • Bright Virginia 13g
  • Burley 12g

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
Update: I pressed 2oz of the PSD TOY, Off The Rails, standard heat and a week in the press. It’s definitely different, but so far I like unpressed better. Because it’s so good as is and the supply is limited I won’t be experimenting with this one any more.

Next project is 46% Simply Red, 46% Original Crumb Cut, and 8% Sutliff long cut perique (trimmed down in the coffee grinder). I mixed up a batch yesterday and gave it the less intense press treatment- heated in the microwave and compressed using my vacuum pack Food Saver. If that is promising I’ll do the standard noodle press treatment when the current batch of Dark Bogie Plug is done on Saturday.

AceFour

Pulled the #5 blend out now, sliced it up and smoking it now. First impression is a winner. I'll update later but it seems I have found the winner. Probably won't tweak this blend until the perique runs out then it will be back to the starting blocks to find the right balance of perique with a new source.

[IMG size=40%]
So I decided to open up my traveldor and found samples from the TAPS show I got from Lane's and decided to make a suicide puck. In the press now.

• Dark Red 5g
  • B&B 20g
  • Bright Virginia 13g
  • Burley 12g
And here is the suicide puck . . .

[IMG size=40%]

JustScott

I loaded my homemade press this morning with a little PS Amsterdam. This is a tobacco that I know very well so I can really focus on how it changes. I didn't fill my press very full so I'm expecting a single thick "flake". I'm not sure how long I will leave it in, maybe a week or three.
Have you had Newminster SRS? I'm curious how much pressed Amsterdam would taste like Superior Round Slices. The two taste fairly similar as it is, but there is a certain "depth" to SRS that I want to believe is from the pressing, but I can't quite convince myself that it isn't all in my head.

Have you had Newminster SRS? I'm curious how much pressed Amsterdam would taste like Superior Round Slices. The two taste fairly similar as it is, but there is a certain "depth" to SRS that I want to believe is from the pressing, but I can't quite convince myself that it isn't all in my head.
No I have not tried it, but it's on my radar now for sure!

Shasta Piper

Started a new plug tonight. "Dark Air Cured" from wholeleaftobacco.com. Casing brewed with a cup of water, cup of white sugar, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp baking cocoa, and a dash of gum arabic.

Whole leaves stripped and torn up just a bit, nuked less than a minute total in two shifts, and casing applied lightly. We'll see. I assume this stuff is just American burley. The leaf smells awesome, and when I smoked a bowl of it raw it reminded me of PA in a good way.

I was a little concerned because the site says something about how air cured tobacco can get mold on the central rib, but the leaf should be just fine. Sure enough, I found a few scuzzy looking ribs, but the leaf all looked OK... I dunno, I guess we'll see.
Any update? I want to try some whole leaf plugs myself.

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Howdy, another noodler here that joined this site for this thread. My first experiment was to rub out some Luxury Bullseye Flake, then press for six days (I did no heating of this batch). It is both sweeter and smoother after the press. I have a ton of experiments in mind, such a fun little toy.

View attachment 38263
Looks great! Welcome to the forum!

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
Howdy, another noodler here that joined this site for this thread. My first experiment was to rub out some Luxury Bullseye Flake, then press for six days (I did no heating of this batch). It is both sweeter and smoother after the press. I have a ton of experiments in mind, such a fun little toy.

View attachment 38263
Looks very tasty, I’ve got 2 plugs of Simply Red coming out of the press tomorrow.

Kiowapipe

Needs to think of a clever custom title
Patron

View attachment 38263
Goodness, maybe it's just the light, but that LBF appears to have darkened considerably.