Home tobacco press

JustScott

@JustScott I looked up SRS. It looks really good, but at twice the cost I'm hoping my pressed Amsterdam will fill the void. I may still get an ounce to compare next time I buy tobacco.
Wow, I hadn't compared prices in a while. Maybe I don't remember clearly, but I really thought they were about the same price. Lets me know which I'll cellar, lol...

Kiowapipe

Needs to think of a clever custom title
Patron
Finally finished the upgrades to the big kid press. Got the base bolted down to a plank and crafted some oak pistons so I can finally make the full-size 4" plug. Got one cranked down right now. Whole leaf bright Virgina with some Kendal Kentucky and Semois mixed in. Simple casing for the bright leaf, just boiled down water and brown sugar with a touch of vanilla and gum arabic. Used a hair dryer to get the body of the press hot to the touch when doing the final cinch-down. Got that sucker cranked down as hard as I could. Gonna give it a couple weeks probably.

Kiowapipe

Patron
Found a little leftover chunk from this plug tonight. Smoking it now. All I have to say is holy crap, three months of aging have made a difference. This stuff is not the same. Ordinarily I wouldn't expect three months to make much difference, but maybe when you're dealing with freshly cased and pressed whole leaf you do get some rapid change up front.
This stuff is actually not too shabby, now, not too shabby at all.

Kiowapipe

Patron
@Kiowapipe do you, or can you post some pictures of your press? I have some triclamps laying around here from a past hobby like the one in your pictures. Might need to put them to use again!
See post #937 in this thread. I made some oak pistons for the actual plunger part. Mason jar lid to keep the screw from digging into the wood.
20190817_232753.jpg