Home tobacco press

@tfdickson Would you be so kind as to elaborate on the taste differences between the plugged victorian and the unpressed? I just got a sample of match victorian and it's quickly becoming a favorite.
Can’t speak for tfdickson, but I have pressed a few pucks of the stuff and I get chocolate undertones the majority of the smoke with the pressed vs the non pressed.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
@tfdickson Would you be so kind as to elaborate on the taste differences between the plugged victorian and the unpressed? I just got a sample of match victorian and it's quickly becoming a favorite.
If you like it as is, you’ll definitely like it pressed. Pressed it becomes fuller, rounder, maybe a little more depth. It’s the same blend, only more so.

FrankHall

Sales
Just pulled this one. 86 grams. If a smoke isn't going so great toward the end, I'll dump the ash and stick the remainder of the tobacco in a jar. I only do this with full VA's and light VaPers - all else goes in the trash. So four days ago I combined all of this detritus with samples of full VA's and VaPers that I considered not-so-great for various reasons. I really enjoyed Watch City Rhythm & Blues, but thought Simply Red was boring. Since Simply Red was the base for R&B, I'm hopeful that it will be a good base for this melange plug.

Will test tomorrow.

20201223_122302.jpg

I pressed 2 oz of sutliff match nightcap. Pretty good, I had smoked a lot that day before trying it. Unfortunately I think my tongue was pretty shot by that point. Didn’t get as much sweetness the entire bowl as compared to loosely packed from the bag.

Still think that Elizabethan Match is by far the best so far. Habana Daydream is a close second and match Country Doctor is tied for second. Have a lb of haunted bookshop being delivered tomorrow. Think it might be really good pressed. Definitely looking forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heating up the entire press in an 18 year old wedding present that has been sitting in a box unopened until today.....:)

I have it dialed in at about 130° thanks to my trusty thermoworks probe. I opened up the toaster oven and am cranking down on the press every 30 minutes or so. Can’t smoke in the house, so is a good excuse to bang around in the garage with a pipe in my mouth and oversee this little experiment.

Hopefully these heated pucks will stay compressed longer once out of the press.
B181F2E8-53C0-40D4-8327-036CDECD40CF.jpeg 85F58607-01A6-4029-A6E4-2DCE3BF4366D.jpeg 64A82E97-FDB6-4DC2-9A3C-EE720F40DF28.jpeg