How do you decide what blend to smoke next? What's your go to if you can't decide?

rectifythis

Hard to explain, but it’s like choosing food. Whatever sounds good, I grab. It’s rare that it’s difficult to choose, usually one blend stands out. Lately that’s been Capstan blue or Hogshead.
This is pretty much myself as well, but with an added step. I will grab the few jars that sound good to me, then open and smell them to see which hits just right.

Chico

Hard to explain, but it’s like choosing food. Whatever sounds good, I grab. It’s rare that it’s difficult to choose, usually one blend stands out. Lately that’s been Capstan blue or Hogshead.
Yeah, this is me too. Usually I'll think about what type of blend sounds best -- A VA, Va/Per, Lat, "Lakeland" or whatever. Then I narrow it down from there, again just depending on what I'm in the mood for. Even though I have some ridiculous amount of samples and tins open (maybe 25?) it's never an issue zeroing in on the right one for the moment. To extend the food analogy, you're going to order Thai food when you really want tacos.

Occasionally I'l go on a binge, mostly just because I'm enjoying the blend. I've mostly done that with McClelland Grand Oriental Samsun and Drama, Mac Baren Club, GAF, and recently Wessex Red Flake.

But I'm also impressionable as hell when I'm here at PSD. Posts often give me an idea of what to smoke. Like now I want Old Gowrie.

DrumsAndBeer

Usually I rotate a cast of Virginia’s and Virginia Perique’s. Three to four current productions with a few unobtanums from the old stash mixed in. Lately, for whatever reason, I been getting along with Latakia once again, and I have been reaching for a few blends like Margate, Skiff and Peretti Oriental 40.

Bach6032

My response is similar to that of @seaweed : it's like choosing food--whatever sounds most appealing at a given moment. Sometimes I'll be in the mood for something unusual and will go looking for that (like Watch City's Elf Dandruff or maybe GH Bosun Cut Plug). Other times I'll feel like diving into some other characteristic, like plugs (absolutely love Salty Dogs). There are times when I'll decide to explore a maker's offerings (like The Country Squire or E&oter!ca blends).

When nothing in particular comes to mind, the best choice is to default to something at the top of my list, like Cornishman or Rivendell (now Riverboat Queen) from The Country Squire.

My cellar might be described as being a mile wide and an inch deep--smaller quantities of a lot of blends with only a few blends in relative abundance. It makes choosing both difficult and fun.

Hoppy

I usually have between 2 and 4 tins open at any time if any of those don't suit then perhaps I didn't want to smoke anyway. I try to open a tin about a week before I start smoking out of it, so there's always something in the on-deck circle if things get desperate, and it gives me some time to think about what blends to choose.

Saint_klaus

I’ve been transitioning to Mylar so as I open a tin the majority gets sealed up with a few bowls worth left in the tin (bulk is the same program…leave a bowl or three in the bag—Mylar the rest). These “sample size” bits become the rotation. I just grab what sounds good in the moment.

If I need a trouble free, thought free smoke I grab a bowl of a “codgeresque” burley. Top three at the moment are Perettis DD, Watch City Old North Church and Sutliffs Duke Albert.

If I have had a rough day and am after the tobacco equivalent of a cozy warm blanket and a Comfy chair I grab my Neerup and fill it with Davidoff Danish Mixture.

rectifythis

My cellar might be described as being a mile wide and an inch deep--smaller quantities of a lot of blends with only a few blends in relative abundance.
This brings up a good question: what do you consider relative abundance? My cellar is probably similar to yours, but my favorites I seem to have 10 tins or a pound of. That seems to me not enough. What do you all say?

Top Bottom