What's new

How many cigarettes...?

Fr_Tom

PSD Chaplain
Old Ted Award Winner
There are way too many variables to consider, @Maguffin: Relative strength of the compared tobaccos, size of bowl, inhaling or not, etc. And this assumes you mean the nicotine load of each.
I was thinking in terms of weight. It maybe have been the nicotine he was asking about. Pipe tobaccos are all over the map WRT nicotine, and I would say there are too many variables for a nicotine comparison.

Ozark Wizard

Most of my pipes I can get from one to one and a half cigarettes into. This is based on an experiment with a friend who loads their own tubes. He smokes 100mm. His cigarette lasts him around ten minutes or less, the same amount in an Osage Orange squashed tomato, say, is from twenty to thirty minutes. Chamber size approximately 3/4-7/8 wide by an inch deep. Actually most of my pipes can almost fit a whole coin of Escudo or PS LBF. Frugality and time constraints seem o dictate the size of chambers I build into my smoking devices.

Kiowapipe

Thanks everyone. Good points. How about if I ask it this way: Are there any pipe blends that would give you a full bowl of tobacco with *less* nicotine than a single cigarette? Or is it pretty much a given that a pipe bowl has more nicotine than a single cig?
Are you talking N/g in the tobacco, or total N absorbed by the body?

Either way, without breaking out the test tubes, my educated guess would be yes. Lots of the cavendish-heavy aros are low on nicotine. For that matter, some lat-bombs don't have much either.

If you really want to get to the bottom of it, go buy a pack of Camels, some zig-zags, and a pouch of drugstore black cavendish 😁

Richard

Fundamentally Unsound
Patron
I often find the need to smoke an RYO after smoking a bowl of an Aromatic. There's just no punch there. So yes, many pipe tobaccos deliver much less nicotine than a single cigarette. Conversely, I have been sat down very firmly by high nicotine pipe tobaccos. And I am a complete nicotine fiend. Like I said earlier - too many variables to compare.

StillLearning

Most of my pipes I can get from one to one and a half cigarettes into. This is based on an experiment with a friend who loads their own tubes. He smokes 100mm. His cigarette lasts him around ten minutes or less, the same amount in an Osage Orange squashed tomato, say, is from twenty to thirty minutes. Chamber size approximately 3/4-7/8 wide by an inch deep. Actually most of my pipes can almost fit a whole coin of Escudo or PS LBF. Frugality and time constraints seem o dictate the size of chambers I build into my smoking devices.
I smoke the load your own tubes also. I smoke Peter stokkabey blends mostly. Amsterdam,danish, Norwegian, and Turkish are my favorites.

Anyways it's always amazed me how much longer the exact same blend burns in a pipe than in a paper.

Oh and cadence blows my mind... I can smoke x amount of tobacco in a cig and it last 5min with no worries. Put the same amount in a pipe and burn it in 5 min and my mouth is on fire.
That's probably due to my poor technique, but still fascinates me.

5star

PSF transfer
Patron
Thanks everyone. Good points. How about if I ask it this way: Are there any pipe blends that would give you a full bowl of tobacco with *less* nicotine than a single cigarette? Or is it pretty much a given that a pipe bowl has more nicotine than a single cig?
That still misses the point that cigarettes are inhaled while pipe tobacco is not. So, how do you compare them in terms of nicotine absorption?
And cigarettes use low grade tobacco and lots of harmful chemical additives. How does that compare to premium pipe tobaccos ?